Author Topic: How to get correct color code for 1970 3F Medium Brown Houndstooth Interior  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Bsbeck

Hey everyone!  I'm working on a 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator that has the 3F Medium Brown Houndstooth Interior and several of the lower dash trim components have been painted black by previous owners.  How can I find the correct paint code to give my local shop to mix up a rattle can where I can repaint those pieces?

Thanks,
SB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Don't believe you can. Old paint codes lead to old mixes that are not longer usable since bases and toners have changed. Some of the more common colors have been reformulated but the less common ones likely have not. One place you can try is TCP Global

https://tcpglobal.com/pages/automotive-paint-home

They have match some of the new paints to match older colors and then added those mixes to their offerings.

If there are some areas you can clean nicely down to the original color or have some hiding on a surface you can take off and take to the paint shop and have them match it with a machine. May need to tint it slightly if its not perfect the first time bu that is another choice

Last possibility as you know would be to use rattle cans or maybe contact the company making those and see if they will sell you a quart

Just some thoughts. Sorry for not getting back to you on this question earlier :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bsbeck

Jeff, that wasn't the answer I wanted.  LOL.  I was hoping the old Ditzler PPG codes could be used to create a new batch.  The lower dash was repainted in the past (very poorly I might say).  I may just take the car to my local paint shop and let them put their portable color matcher on it.  Thanks for the quick reply.  Along the same lines however, I assume their is a new paint code for the more common Competition Yellow (Grabber Yellow in Mustang lingo) ?

Offline Scott302

For 70 Cougar I have codes for "dark tobacco".
PPG 23347 is 20% gloss and 23349 is flat.  I also show R&M codes for them as well, 170F84, 170F83 but as Jeff said those codes are going to be tough to mix using today's components.  Best to find an original color part to use as a sample to have mixed.
If you do find an original sample let me know.  I might want to borrow it!
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline Bsbeck

Here's the stuff I've been finding and was hoping to use... 

Offline Bsbeck

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Here's the stuff I've been finding and was hoping to use... 

Guess your referring to wanting to use the SEMS product. Might want to see if its available in a rattle can so you can do a shoot out and compare. Would not expect it to match but we might be surprised though doubtful
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)