Author Topic: 65 San Jose Fastback Courtesy Light Wiring Route  (Read 975 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65 San Jose Fastback Courtesy Light Wiring Route
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »
This post originally was posted to a different thread but since the production plant did not match the OP's car's details I thought I would report the pictures in a different tread in the hopes that they would benefit others with similar cars

Trunk examples would be the different routes the fuel sending wire takes depending on where the car was built. All plants didn't follow what is shown in the assembly manuals that are in print. For the wire your looking for even 65 route is different than 66.

The examples below are from '65 fastbacks built around February 16, '65 at San Jose

Often we find some black friction/gaffers tape used to hold the wire up while the clips were installed. Looks like the tape has fallen or been pulled off (yellow arrow) and is more often found where the green arrow is - about midway

I would suggest a single tape section and three metal retaining clips

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 San Jose Fastback Courtesy Light Wiring Route
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:53:43 PM »
This subject came up the other day in reviewing a car and it was mentioned how San Jose routed this wire is different than what the assembly manual shows. We realize that this happened from time to time for unknown reasons and similar to the  fuel sender wire on the drivers side of the trap door side panel is shown differently in the Assembly Manual than how the 65 San Jose workers installed them.  That detail is included in the first and third pictures above.

Workers at Dearborn and NJ plants did route the fuel sender wire on fastbacks in 65 as indicated in the Assembly Manual. Just another couple of differences between assembly plants and workers

Here are some additional examples

Another detail that should be shared. a few examples from the approx 5R157000-5R180000 have the thicker S shaped plastic clips in place of the thin and small sheet metal clips we usually see for this application. Not sure why the change but wanted to mention the possibility

Below - Blue arrows show the thicker plastic retainer clips and (yellow arrow) the fabric/gaffers tape from 5R09c1800xx

Another routing and tape example from 5R09A1570xx

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:36:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 07:46:20 PM »
I took a look at both my San Jose built Fastbacks (a 65 GT and a 66 GT). The 65 (11S scheduled, 11 May 65) has two clips, one at each end, and the remnant of a piece of tape about 1 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long stuck in the center (as in the picture above) that does not seem to have a function. The 66 (18K scheduled, 18 Oct 65) has three clips, ends and center (not as specified in the drawing), no tape.
The 65 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0008 pg 13) specifies 372303-S100, 6 each, 2 across in the trunk, and 2 each per side for the cable to the rear quarter lamps. The 66 Mustang Electrical Assembly Manual (AM0013 pg21) specifies 372302-S100 (a different part number), 5 each, 2 across in the trunk, 2 for the RH wire to lamp, and 1 for the LH wire to lamp.
372303-S100 is slightly larger (ref AMK 2014 catalog, AMK B-10723) than 372303-S100 (ref Ford Standard and Utility Parts Catalog - 1969, Osborn AM0205, pg39).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
I took a look at both my San Jose built Fastbacks (a 65 GT and a 66 GT). The 65 (11S scheduled, 11 May 65) has two clips, one at each end, and the remnant of a piece of tape about 1 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long stuck in the center (as in the picture above) that does not seem to have a function. The 66 (18K scheduled, 18 Oct 65) has three clips, ends and center (not as specified in the drawing), no tape.

Pretty sure that the tape fell off of some cars after it was no longer needed and or removed from a owner that found it, realized it was doing nothing at that point and removed it.  I have a fair number of different examples for 66 also but like 65 San Jose didn't follow the assembly manual there either. We can cover 66 San Jose wires in another thread

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 12:17:32 AM »
Here's a picture of the tape in the trunk on my 65 GT Fastback.
I'll venture a guess and say it was use to keep the wire up and out of the way while it was routed to the RH rear quarter lamp housing. When all the connections were made, the wire was pulled loose from the tape and the two trunk clips were installed. It was an "installation" aid.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:41:38 AM »
Here are the pics from my October of 64 fastback. Three clips present and the tape in the middle is still present
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe