Author Topic: Bumpers  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Bumpers
« on: July 22, 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
The latest bumper topic had me wondering a few things.

My car has an original, date code correct front bumper that is still in great shape.
It will get replated.
The rear was replaced with a C7 Ford NOS bumper. In looking at an assembly line rear bumper on my parts car I lucked out and found out it had the same date as my front bumper. The parts car bumper is a lot sharper on the roll overs than the C7, indicating that late 80s bumpers had already begun to wear out.

* As I understand it, I need to sandblast the rear of my parts car bumper before sending it in to be plated.

* Can any platers straighten or take out dings without using that awful tool that puts teeth/slash marks into the back?

* If they do put in the marks, should I have them strip the bumper and then return it to me so I can TIG the marks out?

* How far do I have them go as far as quality for a concours car? I don't think Peeble Beach, but is a good triple chrome ok?

Any others issues of which I should be aware?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 11:26:19 PM »
Basic answer is that you can get all of those things done and it will create a better finished product just depends on how much time or dollars it will take. Yes the back sides of some of these look like train tracks. Since many are more interested in condition than dates owners with ones needing allot of work opt often for ones needing less work but an off date

The chrome plating would have been better on exterior items such as the bumpers than for comparison what was applied to valve covers and air cleaners. Some original bumpers have waves in them that often get "corrected"  but don't think this is an issue with 67 bumpers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7R02A

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 01:25:30 AM »
Since we are discussing bumpers, what would the quality of the back of an original bumper be?  Would you expect a dull silver color or more of the shiny chrome finish.
John
1967 Fastback, A code, automatic transmission, Deluxe interior, AC, PS, P disc brakes, tilt, consoles, exterior group, fold down, DSO 71.
San Jose build, Actual build: Dec 17, 66.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 09:41:25 AM »
Bill 67-68 bumpers can be tricky to replate because there is a witness line that runs across the top that is very easily lost during replating. On some cars I have chosen to use a NOS bumper that has some small defect rather than lose the witness line. FYI bumpers can be chemically striped, that gives a better chance of saving the line.

Are you planning on showing in the Thourobred class? If not the date code will not matter in the MCA Concours trailered class.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 02:41:57 PM »
Since we are discussing bumpers, what would the quality of the back of an original bumper be?  Would you expect a dull silver color or more of the shiny chrome finish.

Its typically a mixed finish with an over all duller finish but in areas can still show a shine. Surface will not be smoothed and rounded from working the surface with the grinders and the rear lips of the metal can be slightly sharper than the top edges
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
Bill 67-68 bumpers can be tricky to replate because there is a witness line that runs across the top that is very easily lost during replating. On some cars I have chosen to use a NOS bumper that has some small defect rather than lose the witness line. FYI bumpers can be chemically striped, that gives a better chance of saving the line.

Are you planning on showing in the Thourobred class? If not the date code will not matter in the MCA Concours trailered class.

Marti -- I'll have to check on the witness line. Rear bumper?

As for Thoroughbred I replate all my original nuts and bolts (where I can) and use almost all original assy line parts.  I consider date coding a plus. Even my NOS battery tray is dated correctly!
I want as much original as possible especially on the 'hard to replace later' parts so someone (else) could take it to the Thoroughbred level if they want.
Bill

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »

I was searching for  oddball bumper date codes and noticed this post again. I didn't catch on originally to the witness line..
My 1980s  C7 NOS bumper has a witness line and the old one I was going to use would lose that during a replate because of rust.
I'll take both down and see what they can do.
Sure glad I found this thread again.
Bill

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 05:24:50 PM »
Forgot the pic.
It is hard to photograph. I used the LED above to show how the light is split by light refraction of the pressed in line as Marty mentioned above.
I edited the pic to add red dots in order to highlight the line.

Note this is on top of the bumper. It continues from one side to the other.
Bill