Author Topic: Package Tray - How to install under weatherstrip?  (Read 873 times)

Offline must69

Package Tray - How to install under weatherstrip?
« on: May 28, 2021, 02:25:05 PM »
Reassembling my 64.5 Dearborn Coupe. Just had new headliner and rear window gasket installed. What?s the trick to lifting the rear window gasket up so it sits on top of the package tray?  Seems like there should be something to pry up the gasket without defacing the new tray. 
Thanks. Phil

Offline jwc66k

Re: Package Tray - How to install under weatherstrip?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 03:21:13 PM »
The headliner was installed before the glass. I had replacement headlines on a 66 Fastback and a 66 Hardtop (both San Jose built) installed by the guy who installed and repaired headliners at San Jose (located in beautiful Milpitas, CA).
It's an "art".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 06:09:35 PM »
.................. Seems like there should be something to pry up the gasket without defacing the new tray. 
Thanks. Phil

Would guess that the worker had one of the white nylon sort of slightly pointed slightly flat sticks that headline installers have used for decades by that side if they needed to lift and insert the package tray under the lip of the rubber. Been a long time since I did a coupe headliner can't recall how it all slips together but that is where I would start

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 01:19:38 PM »
Ding, Ding! Now I remember. I had the front and rear windows' weatherstrip replaced on my 66 Hardtop in 1996 or 97 at a local Mustang shop (it was going to be used as a daily driver). I had to remove the rear seat and package tray prior to the rear weatherstrip going in, but the shop wanted the package tray to finish off the job, which I brought in. They used the edges of a scraper to lift the weatherstrip over the package tray, not the sharp ends, and shoved it in. It didn't take long.
But it was all for naught. A couple of years later, I removed the package tray, covered it with the hide of the South American Nauga (aka Naugahyde, in black) on top of 1/2 inch thick foam rubber and installed a pair of 6 X 9 speakers.
It is still a daily driver, but looks sharp.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline must69

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 01:01:43 PM »
Jim, well yesterday I attempted and succeeded with using a putty knife, lifting the weatherstrip up and over the package tray, while at the same time, lifting the tray at an angle to push it down into the lower area where the gasket was resting and worked my way across.  Took my time to damage anything, and probably had the job complete in about 20 minutes.  Today I read your post which is quite similar.  Great minds think alike!