Author Topic: Help Me Identify These '69 Wiring Harnesses  (Read 1536 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Help Me Identify These '69 Wiring Harnesses
« on: April 02, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
I need help identifying a few wiring harnesses.   A lot of the original wiring on this car was simply cut in two to remove it.  Apparently it never occurred to the previous owner that things like taillight and engine harnesses will actually unplug!  I think I have most of it straightened out, but I'm still not certain on a few things.

1.  After piecing back together the original taillight harnesses, I still have this harness left over.  I think it's part of the headlight harness, possibly for the turn signals.  Most of the connectors have been cut off the ends, so that rules that out in helping with identification.  The wire colors are white/blue and green/white (or green/yellow).  I've looked at a '69 wiring diagram and the Osborne electrical manual, but they really didn't help me.  I'm sure they're not for the hood scoop wiring, as I still have that original harness.  The sockets in the mystery harness look like they take those little 194 bulbs.  Maybe they're for the side markers in the front valence?

2. These two harnesses with red connectors were also cut.  I can almost make out the part number listed on one.  I think it's C9ZB155369 (or the last digit might be an 8).  Both of these "red" harnesses are encased in fairly thick rubber sheaths, almost like they were expected to be exposed to weather or road spray.

Here's the pictures (there's several pictures in each slideshow).
Harness 1:
http://img19.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=camera014.jpg

Harness 2:
http://img194.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=camera010d.jpg

Thanks for the help!  I'll be glad to provide more pictures, information, or anything else if needed.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Help Me Identify These '69 Wiring Harnesses
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »
The wiring appears to be all for the rear lamps. The red heavy plugs go to your backup lamp assy's mounted to
the rear valance. The white single wire with a grommet goes to the fuel sending unit. The sockets with the 194 bulbs are for the rear marker lamps that mount to the qtr. panel. There should also be a single black wire for your lic. plate lamp plug. The one photo looks like a taillight socket to me. Green wires with yellow stripes and blue wires with red stripes are hot all the time for park lamp or headlamps. Hopes this helps.....CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Help Me Identify These '69 Wiring Harnesses
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:16:31 PM »
Thanks Chris!  I really don't think it's part of the taillight harness, though.  I had the original taillight harness and went through it the other day.  I verified that the fuel sending unit, quarter marker lights, all taillight sockets, tag light, and body ground wires were there.

That does make sense about the backup harnesses, though.  I'm going off of memory here, but it seems like two plugs in the taillight harness also have those red plugs, so those would match up to the red plugs on the backup light wires.
Too much junk, too little time.