Author Topic: 1970 california mustang vapor line  (Read 4820 times)

Offline 1970shelbyguy

1970 california mustang vapor line
« on: January 29, 2014, 09:33:53 PM »
i did post on the 65-70 shelby forum but i'm asking for any underneath pics of the 70 gas tank vapor line used for calif dso'd mustangs.  got one from npd but not sure how it goes.  for a 70 gt500  thanks  email any pics  to  daveandkirsten@shaw.ca
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 california mustang vapor line
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 10:50:58 PM »
We'll post here so that future members can find them if they have a need. Was luck a while back to find a 1970 with the Calif Evap system rolled over on the roof in a yard  ;D

As mentioned in the other thread its very likely that the Shelby addition of the lines would be different than the ones installed at San Jose but these may help you in some way

From front to back - starting at firewall so I'm not including the flex line forward to the charcoal canister.

In this line someone bent over the solid line at the passenger end :(  - arrow

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:55:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:40:34 PM »
To complete the picture - evap lines from tank to engine compartment I offer the following

In some of the pictures the lines in the passenger rear inner fender area have been "moved" a bit so adjust accordingly - those were wrecking yard shots.

It appears that the single plastic retainer used at Dearborn was the black one and the white was used on San Jose built cars from the examples I have

Hope this helps

From the transmission tunnel to the charcoal canister

Jeff Speegle

Offline 1970shelbyguy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:39:04 AM »
thanks for the great pics jeff-  i'm missing the block for the rear lh frame rail.   mounting  holes are there alright.   i don't have a hole up on the shock tower for the hold down bracket.  position of the hose illustrated might be too close for the hot cj exh manifold.  could it possibly loop over the top of shock tower tied in with wiring harness then down to the tea pot cannister?  i was sent pics of a fella's  70 scj gt500 calif car.  his hose runs over the top of shock tower.  need a length of "gas" fuel line- would marti auto works be the supplier? thanks again  david
1970 gt500  grabber blue  june/69     1970  boss 302  metuchen  dec/69

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
thanks for the great pics jeff-  i'm missing the block for the rear lh frame rail.   mounting  holes are there alright.   i don't have a hole up on the shock tower for the hold down bracket.  position of the hose illustrated might be too close for the hot cj exh manifold.  could it possibly loop over the top of shock tower tied in with wiring harness then down to the tea pot cannister?  i was sent pics of a fella's  70 scj gt500 calif car.  his hose runs over the top of shock tower.  need a length of "gas" fuel line- would marti auto works be the supplier? thanks again  david

My SCJ has the hold down bracket on the shock tower.  I imagine the hose did go through it at one time, but it (the hose) had been routed directly to the air cleaner when I purchased the car.

I'm also curious about the "gas" fuel line availability.  Doesn't the Marti "gas" fuel line have the little triangles on it?  I don't see those in the pictures above, so would it be the same hose style?

« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 04:42:45 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »
...................... i don't have a hole up on the shock tower for the hold down bracket.  position of the hose illustrated might be too close for the hot cj exh manifold.  could it possibly loop over the top of shock tower tied in with wiring harness then down to the tea pot cannister?  i was sent pics of a fella's  70 scj gt500 calif car.  his hose runs over the top of shock tower.  need a length of "gas" fuel line- would marti auto works be the supplier? thanks again  david

Since yours was a retro fit - different from the factory installed systems installed at San Jose or at Dearborn it would likely vary. So for others - if you don't have a Shelby disregard the following

Green arrow points to that rubber vapor return hose.

First three pictures are a a pretty nice unrestored 70 with the system

Last picture is of a restored 70 Dearborn CJ with the system

My SCJ has the hold down bracket on the shock tower.  I imagine the hose did go through it at one time, but it (the hose) had been routed directly to the air cleaner when I purchased the car.

So they by passed the whole charcoal canister. Wonder what fitting they used since the nipple is much later than the rubber line

I'm also curious about the "gas" fuel line availability.  Doesn't the Marti "gas" fuel line have the little triangles on it?  I don't see those in the pictures above, so would it be the same hose style?

Both the GAS GAS and the Triangle and square versions are reproduced but don't know anyone that is selling it in bulk/larger lengths

I've found my lengths (normally 4 plus feet long) in larger cars from the period - drivers side along the top of the inner fender panel
Jeff Speegle

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

So for others - if you don't have a Shelby disregard the following

The Shelby comment slipped past me at first, and I was boggled by seeing the '69 smog tube with the '70 charcoal cannister vent tube that goes to the air cleaner (in the 3rd picture).  I'm ok, and understand what I was seeing now :-)

So they by passed the whole charcoal canister. Wonder what fitting they used since the nipple is much later than the rubber line

They stuffed a basic elbow into one end of the rubber line, and it happens to also fit inside the connection at the air cleaner.  I believe my air cleaner connection is correct, but I'm not 100% sure  ~ it has the little filter setup that sits inside the air cleaner.

Luckily the charcoal canister and bracket came in a milk crate with the car, along with the vent tube.
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »
They stuffed a basic elbow into one end of the rubber line, and it happens to also fit inside the connection at the air cleaner.  I believe my air cleaner connection is correct, but I'm not 100% sure  ~ it has the little filter setup that sits inside the air cleaner.

The filter attachment looks like the typical one used that year for the PVC hose to connect to. Since its hooked directly to the inside of the engine the filter helped collect any oil (blow by) that would travel up that hose to the air cleaner. Not needed for the charcoal canister connection. Let me see if I can find a good picture of the cardboard/aluminum tube attachment nipple for a 70 in the collection. For a Mustang its a straight nipple about 1/2" in dia that attaches to the air cleaner with a quarter turn. Hole in the air cleaner base is round with two ears/cutouts for the quarter turn. Pretty sure I've got some in a box somewhere.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 04:35:58 PM »
Realized from another thread that I had not posted some additional pictures I had posted on another forum that might help others here

Can clamp hardware

Can to air cleaner tube

Trunk stuff

Some threads so we don't have to repost a bunch of pictures ;)

Luggage protector strips for a Calif evap

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=80582.msg532686#msg532686

Routing under the car and engine compartment

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7895.msg45241#msg45241

Also a link to Marcus' article on the systems

https://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/smog_v1.2.pdf
Jeff Speegle