Author Topic: acorn nuts for hood moulding  (Read 2435 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: acorn nuts for hood moulding
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2021, 11:58:46 PM »
Unknown is when did each assembly plant run out of the 69 hood trim acorn nuts 45277-S36. 
That's the nut used for the trunk trim. The hood nut is 384102-S100. They are different.
What is finish S100?
Finish codes -S100 and up, are specified on the drawing. In this case, it "may" specify the finish of the nut and include a sealer.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
Here is an unrestored 70 with the trunk Mach1 honeycomb trim panel acorn nuts retaining the hood trim.  https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13236.0
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2021, 01:11:02 PM »
The use of a replacement nut is possibly and common. ("Replacements" are one of the purposes of this forum.) The problem is how do you do document the "replacement" on a different car, especially a car that has an example of what was originally specified, albeit corroded beyond use.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline alanmac

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
I would bet FIFO practices were used at Ford for hardware on early model year cars.  That unrestored car picture has a projected build date of late January 70.  My car was built on Oct 7, 69, it has the truck panel acorn nuts on the hood trim.     
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2021, 07:57:33 PM »
A "First In, First Out" scenario would not apply to hardware. There was a bucket or a bin of what was required at each assembly station. Depending on what or where, additional inventory would be either poured on top of the existing, or the containers swapped. It's not rocket science. A more common problem would be shortages, and the scramble to find a suitable replacement to be approved by the resident assembly line engineer.
Jim

Offline alanmac

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2021, 11:39:58 PM »
uppliers. 
A "First In, First Out" scenario would not apply to hardware. There was a bucket or a bin of what was required at each assembly station. Depending on what or where, additional inventory would be either poured on top of the existing, or the containers swapped. It's not rocket science. A more common problem would be shortages, and the scramble to find a suitable replacement to be approved by the resident assembly line engineer.
Jim

A "First In, First Out" scenario would not apply to hardware.  additional inventory would be either poured on top of the existing, Please expand on how you know this?  My uncle was a executive at Lincoln Mercury in Dearborn.  When I visited them in 1969 he took me through the complete tour of the River Rouge plant.  The front lobby had a Boss 429 on display.  The tour was unbelievable and touched me for life.  The River Rouge tour from boats off loading raw materials, to making steel to stamping body panels and components, assembly and out the door inspection.  They were building Mustangs and Cougars. I remember all the big metal bins that were designed for fork lifts with parts in them.  Respectfully I disagree, from my experience it wasn't the Flintstones making cars.  They implemented SPC in the early 70's with their suppliers.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 11:47:45 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
0T1190xx

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2021, 12:44:44 AM »
What does FIFO have to do with a different acorn nut being used on your car. The OP had a picture of his corroded nut which appears to be as specified. 
Jim

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
The unrestored mach  attaching hardware  looks like the 69  hardware. Years ago i rem replacing my hood moulding  and it came with those nuts. Pretty sure  the same, Wish i had a pile of those moldings now! :P