Author Topic: Headliner Bow Questions  (Read 1958 times)

Offline must69

Headliner Bow Questions
« on: March 11, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »
I am restoring a 64-1/2 (mid July build) Dearborn Coupe and have some questions regarding the headliner bows.   It looks like they are color coded white, red, red, and blue.  When I removed them I did not note their position so that is my first question.  I did mark which hole they came out of as there are two holes for each bow, but not which color from which hole.  Secondly, two of the rods had what I will call an adapter on one end, so I am curious what the purpose of these are for.  Lastly, how many of the retainers for the bows should I have? The first photo shows the colored ends and the second photo shows two bows with the adapters.
Thanks.
Phil

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Headliner Bow Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 06:33:42 PM »
Is it possibly listed (the color order) in the assembly manual?  Don't have a copy of that one handy :(

Sometimes I've found a transfer of the box paint in each hole used.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline must69

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »
Jeff, That is worth a look see!  The NPD catalogue lists Yellow #1 (front), Red #2, White#3, Blue #4.  Leaves me two reds.  Thought I would check here.  I'll check that resource. Any idea on the "adapters"?
Thanks.
Phil 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 05:04:01 PM »
The "adapters" on these early ones always looked like they adapted maybe a falcon bow for the purpose - short term but that would be only a guess

As for the reds - do you have a single and double red?  Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline must69

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »
The adapters go into straight ends on the bows, and there are only two of those.  I?m not sure what you mean by a single and a double red.  Each bow has color on only one end.  I have two with a single red end.  I did check the interior assembly manual and there is no mention of bows at all.  I did some research on the internet, but that was inconclusive. 

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:10 PM »
I did check the interior assembly manual and there is no mention of bows at all. 
Assuming that Ford didn't make too many "changes" between 1964 and 1966, the information you seek is in the 65 and 66 Interior Assembly Manuals. The first bow in the 65 manual is a 65 Mustang part number, the other 3 are 64 Mustang parts. (All the bows in the 66 manual are 65 Mustang parts). The color code for 65 and 66 are the same:
1st (Front) - blank
2nd - red
3rd - white
4th - blue
The ones color coded are noted "one end". Your choice of right or left.
Secondly, two of the rods had what I will call an adapter on one end, so I am curious what the purpose of these are for.  Lastly, how many of the retainers for the bows should I have?
The revisions (10/21/64) in the 65 manual state item was 4 removed. It's description is "Extension". Also removed was "Detail BB", what ever it was.
Taking a WAG, the installation details for bows 2, 3 and 4 did not change, so the "Extensions" (aka "adapters"?) were used on the first bow.
That being said, it's now a "How to" assembly referral from another 64 Hardtop.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline must69

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 09:33:34 PM »
Jim, thanks for the information and your research!  I have come across that color code order a couple of places, so that seems to be correct.  I went back to my 1964-1/2 interior Ass?y Manual and there is no detail at all about bows, so they upped that info in subsequent editions.  The term ?extender? makes better sense than ?adapter?. However, by going back and examining photos that I took when I took the headliner down in 2008 definitely show that the extenders are on the last (rear) and next to last bow, as in the photo they are still in the roof side rail.  I still have to resolve why I have two red bows.  They appear to be the same shape and length. 
Phil

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 10:04:48 PM »
looks like the ' thing is happening here on this thread...

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=24365.0
5F09C331248