Author Topic: 65 Metuchen Front Fender - Proper Paint / Sealer treatment back side of fender  (Read 2174 times)

Offline rocket289k

Hi everyone,

I wanted to confirm the proper painting treatment for a July 1965 Metuchen build front fender.  My original fenders were undercoated on the back side of the fenders and I was unable to determine what color they would have been painted from the factory.  Based on other evidence on the car I'm assuming that the back side of the fenders were painted in red oxide primer and then sprayed with undercoating once they were mounted on the car (at the same time that the splash guards and shock tower / fender apron were sprayed with the sound deadening / undercoating). 

Does this sound like the correct process to follow?

Ron
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:52:51 AM by carlite65 »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
I wanted to confirm the proper painting treatment for a July 1965 Metuchen build front fender.  My original fenders were undercoated on the back side of the fenders and I was unable to determine what color they would have been painted from the factory.  Based on other evidence on the car I'm assuming that the back side of the fenders were painted in red oxide primer and then sprayed with undercoating once they were mounted on the car (at the same time that the splash guards and shock tower / fender apron were sprayed with the sound deadening / undercoating). 
Does this sound like the correct process to follow?

First the fenders would have received a coating of read oxide inside and out - followed by a coat of light grey on the exterior surfaces. While hung on a rack off the car the exterior color would have been applied paying special attention to the wheel lip and rear surfaces that face to the interior of the car when the door is open. This is important to what you are doing since all the overspray (read allot since they were using high pressure guns not the ones we use today) from this application traveled to those surfaces directly behind those edges (wheelwell, front face and rear edges) producing a logical pattern.

The sound deadener would have been applied to the fender once it was installed so shadows and coverage would support that
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rocket289k

Thanks Jeff,

That's pretty much exactly what I'm in the process of doing.  I appreciate your input.

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
Hi Jeff,
if I understood correctly first we apply red oxid primer (expoxy transparent primer and then colored to red oxid on my case), then exterior side on gray, 3rd step painted on the car with the body, 4th deadliner undercoating (on black) directly over the primer...
Fender inside part is not painted in BLACK before or after undercoating? my question.
Thanks
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
You need to reread Jeff?s description. The fenders were painted on racks, not on the car.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Hi Jeff,
if I understood correctly first we apply red oxid primer (expoxy transparent primer and then colored to red oxid on my case), .................

Lets try it a different way

1- Fender painted red oxide at the stamping plant and shipped to the car assembly plant
2- Fender checked for straightness and corrected as need be then painted on the exterior surfaces with a light gray primer
3- Fender along with the rest of the painted parts not installed on the body were painted while on painting racks of fixtures  painted with a light gray surface primer
4- Fenders and other parts were next painted body color paying special attention to the exterior surface applications and spraying paint during this process along and on to the  wheel lip and rear surfaces that face to the interior of the car when the door is open. This is important to what you are doing since all the overspray (read "allot" since they were using high pressure guns not the ones we use today) from this application traveled to those surfaces directly behind those edges (wheelwell, front face and rear edges) producing a logical pattern.
5- Much later in the build process, second half of production, the fenders were installed.
6- Once the car was pretty much complete sound deadener was applied to the inner fender panel and front wheel wells over some of the surfaces. This could include the bottom side of the top surface (bottom of the top surface of the fender) of the wheel well in some examples but also around the front and rear splash shield to fender area as part of a later overall pattern to seal many of the attachment points and deaden the road noise and impact from things being thrown up by the front tires as well as other purposes

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
Clear now, Thanks to both...no doubts now Jeff :) :)
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior