Author Topic: Finishes - San Jose Hood Dowel and Trunk Striker  (Read 779 times)

Offline hertz350

Finishes - San Jose Hood Dowel and Trunk Striker
« on: January 17, 2021, 03:48:59 PM »
For San Jose built cars: What is the assembly line metal finish on the hood dowel striker and the catch mounted on the hood?
What is the assembly line finish on the trunk striker, the part mounted to the tail light panel?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 06:31:30 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Finishes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 04:18:25 PM »
For San Jose built cars: What is the assembly line metal finish on the hood dowel striker and the catch mounted on the hood?
What is the assembly line finish on the trunk striker, the part mounted to the tail light panel?
Hood latch pin is typically zinc dichromate , trunk latch striker is typically a zinc or cad silver.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hertz350

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »
Thank you Bob. And what finish is the hood catch long "U" shaped piece that mounts to the hood?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 05:11:28 PM »
Thank you Bob. And what finish is the hood catch long "U" shaped piece that mounts to the hood?
Typically Zinc Phosphate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hertz350

Re: Finishes - San Jose Hood Dowel and Trunk Striker
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 06:13:51 PM »
And what finish is on the nut for the hood dowel pin?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 06:32:06 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 06:50:49 PM »
Thought it might be time to post a picture of the parts and some of the finishes from a late unrestored 66 San Jose example

Related discussion from 5 years ago

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11389.msg69313#msg69313
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »
And what finish is on the nut for the hood dowel pin?
Just in case there is any question after Jeffs posted picture ,the nut is zinc phosphate.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 07:23:50 PM »
Just in case there is any question after Jeffs posted picture ,the nut is zinc phosphate.

Thanks Bob
Sorry should have posted, with the picture, that I color coded the arrows to correspond with the finishes.

Red - P&O
Gold/Yellow - Zinc Dichromate
Purple - Clear Zinc
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 07:44:22 PM »
Let me toss in a monkey wrench. On almost all the 64-66 San Jose Mustangs around the San Jose area, the nut (33845-S2) and washer (44734-S2) are phosphate and oil. The dowel (C4ZB-16929) is cad or a dull zinc. On many, the washers are larger in diameter, thinner and chrome plated. It's not documented. I don't know if that's a dress up item or what. But it exists.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 08:50:11 PM »
Let me toss in a monkey wrench. On almost all the 64-66 San Jose Mustangs around the San Jose area, the nut (33845-S2) and washer (44734-S2) are phosphate and oil. The dowel (C4ZB-16929) is cad or a dull zinc. On many, the washers are larger in diameter, thinner and chrome plated. It's not documented. I don't know if that's a dress up item or what. But it exists.
Jim

Not a "monkey wrench" just a difference of opinion and experiences.

As discussed before zinc dichromate losses its goldish look over the years depending on how the car is used and stored. The picture i posted is an example of this as well as many other 65-66 San Jose cars' I've seen.  As for the nut and washer it appears that you agree with the nut finish but your observations on the washer is different. Think you may agree that these brighter washers were not the typical ones used.

Guess at the next opportunity one of us should remove a few of these and check to see if they are finished that way on the complete surface (front back and edges) or if this is an example where the surface of the washer was very smooth and the bright zinc is still nice enough to present that almost chromed look we see on freshly plated bright zinc parts today. Think if you look at the washer in the example I posted above the finish could be seen as "chromed" by some as you can see it reflects the nut on the washer from about 11-2 o'clock position pretty well
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 08:52:47 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 02:09:10 PM »
As discussed before zinc dichromate losses its goldish look over the years depending on how the car is used and stored.
I don't believe I mentioned gold zinc.
As for the nut and washer it appears that you agree with the nut finish but your observations on the washer is different.
Bird in hand worth two in bush. "One" could be considered wrong, "two" makes a trend, "three" is on a car in Australia, "four" is on a car in South San Jose. All were San Jose built.
Think you may agree that these brighter washers were not the typical ones used.
Yes, and no. Something is different.
Think if you look at the washer in the example I posted above the finish could be seen as "chromed" by some as you can see it reflects the nut on the washer from about 11-2 o'clock position pretty well
A possibility.
The dimensions of the "chrome" washer are: 1.120 in OD; 0.585 in ID; 0.057 in THK.
The Ford washer, 44734-S2 dimensions are: 1.062 in OD; 0.521-0.541 in ID; 0.074-0.121 in THK.
The intent of many of the topics of this forum is to document the "odd" items and procedures.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 03:21:48 PM »
I don't believe I mentioned gold zinc

Didn't say you did :) - mentioned it has been discussed - in fact many many times on the forum

Bird in hand worth two in bush. "One" could be considered wrong, "two" makes a trend, "three" is on a car in Australia, "four" is on a car in South San

Guessing that your referring to the  washer in the comment above. Do you happen to have the VINs for each finding and are they from the same production period?

The intent of many of the topics of this forum is to document the "odd" items and procedures.

Agreed - have mentioned details of differences many times as documented in this an other sites. One thing we need to be careful IMHO of and need to remember there is a difference between what we recommend as the correct finish and what we have observed. What I mean by that is that the best course of action (recommendation) without being able to document what came on a specific vehicle should likely be what is typically found on other cars built same plant same time as best we can
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 04:39:27 PM »
Two of the Mustangs are 6R09K121xxx, 18Oct65 (sold in Mountain View, Tuban Ford) and 6R09A178xxx, 28Mar66 (this car is in Australia). Both are fastback GT's. For the others, all I can say is they were 66 Models, built in San Jose and were Hardtops. I've know about this washer for well over 20 years, and until now, its history was not important.
Jim