Author Topic: 70 disc brake backing plate numbers  (Read 805 times)

Offline RocketScientist

70 disc brake backing plate numbers
« on: January 24, 2021, 09:06:23 PM »
I have seen an number of restored cars having white paint-stamped part numbers on the front disc brake backing plates. They typically have  C9OA-2K00-B for the left side and C9OA-2K004-B for the right side. Did this happen on assembly-line cars or is it something associated with service parts?
Brad

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 disc brake backing plate numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 11:00:35 PM »
Guess your referring to the large black dust shields?

Date coding in stamp form on the back side of drum brake backing plates I've seen and have made but I don't have a picture, recall seeing and no one has mentioned to me about a stamping as you describe related to the disc brake assembly.

Would need to see a picture to comment further or offer an opinion of what they are or where they might have migrated from

Is this the part that your referring to?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 06:28:04 AM »
Yes that is the correct part and the part stamping on the plate is in the area just below the lower control arm.  It is in a difficult spot and I have been unable to ever take pics of it.

Personally, I have doubts to their authenticity but I am curious to know if it is something that has been made up or if part numbers were applied in this area.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:57 AM »
Never have seen that on a car - maybe like you say it is something that appeared on service parts? Fortunately DNO is reproducing them with the Fomoco stamp:
https://www.deadnutson.com/1969-73-disc-brake-driver-side-dust-shield/

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
Never have seen that on a car - maybe like you say it is something that appeared on service parts? Fortunately DNO is reproducing them with the Fomoco stamp:
https://www.deadnutson.com/1969-73-disc-brake-driver-side-dust-shield/

A Scott Fuller reproduction product I believe that DNO stocks.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 06:29:33 PM »
There are 2 types or vendors on these square and round fomoco  and a triangle. I have some nos ones and they have a paper c9oz part number but i have never seen an ink stamp c90a # on them  where did u see that ink stamp ?

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 08:35:11 PM »
A particular 'concours' mustang restorer (who'll remain nameless) was applying them to his cars but I haven't seen them anywhere else. So it has gotten me wondering.....
If the NOS ones were C9OZ, then this is a further hint that things may not be correct.