Author Topic: Power Steering Hose Sleeve  (Read 1233 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Power Steering Hose Sleeve
« on: November 21, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »
I would like to have some confirmation for, does the PS return hose between the under frame hose support bracket and the PS oil cooler had the Protector Sleeve in two pieces or one.
My originals (pics attached) show two 6" long pieces on that hose and one 12" piece on the return hose between the PS pump and the oil cooler.
The only place I can find this repro sleeve is from NPD and their sleeve is only 20" long saying cut to length, but that is definitely to short as my originals add up to 24" and will need 2 pieces from them to duplicate my existing sleeves as a minimum.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline 1970 Snake

Re: Power Steering Hose Sleeve
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 02:48:08 AM »
For those who have installed these hose rubber shields, they are very difficult to slide over the new hose and was just wondering if there is a secret to sliding the shield over the return hoses??
Should I be using a water soap solution or something of that nature to let the rubber shield slide over the rubber return hose.

Offline specialed

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »
yes tight fit so they dont slide around.  I worked with dan carpenter  back years ago making these foam sleeves since it was an assembly line part and not serviced and i told him to sell them in 20" pieces so that would be enought for a b9 b2 and 69-70 428cj cars that used the foam.  1970 snake u have the correct hoses and foam BUT over the years the foam swells and strecthes out and starts to fall apart  from fluids leaking into the foam.  I got my hose
 and foam sleeve measurements from new car takeoffs and low mile cars.  The 69-70 428cj  pump hose is 14'' with 10'' foam and the return hose is 15'' with 2 -5'' foams  with a purpleish color code in the middle between the 2 sleeves and  4 #2 wittek clamps were used from factory.  Dead nuts on sells this also.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 01:55:49 PM »
Thanks specialed, I would not have guessed that my sleeves would have grown 1" each on the short sleeves and 2" on the long sleeve.

I am using a return hose I have sourced locally that pretty much identically matches the 3/8" ID and 11/16" OD of the original return hoses which allows the Wittek #2 clamps (which I have) to properly clamp the hose, unlike pretty much all offerings today which have too small an OD (I believe 5/8") for these clamps to clamp properly.

This obviously makes it even harder to slide the sleeves over my hoses, I can only get about 3" of the sleeves pulled on, at which point the rubber/foam to rubber tight fit does not allow the sleeve to slide any further on the hose, and will have to find some form of lubricant to allow the installation of the sleeves. Do you know if a watery soap solution will hurt the sleeve foam??

Additionally the hose lengths that you have mentioned, 14" and 15", do these change at all on a car that has the drag pack oil cooler hoses running somewhat through the same area ??
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 02:48:22 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 03:48:20 PM »
Hello specialed, the purple mark you have mentioned on the factory return hose between the sleeves is interesting, as I have an original NOS pump pressure hose that I sent out for yellow zinc plating and before that I took a picture of it and some other pieces for plating and as you can see there is a purple paint mark on the center of it beside the ID tag. So am wondering if the purple paint mark was some assembly line identifier??

Offline specialed

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
same on all 69-70 cj scj.   You may want to route oilcooler hose  down in front of ps cooler and yes purple color code on pump pressure hose also and the 2 hoses purple mark is where the special black  plastic holder was supposed to attach and hold hoses together on the early cars before the metal spiiral wrap was added and thats when the hose changed from a c8 to a c9 # adding the gold wrap u can not use the clip anymore so a running change.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 04:06:55 PM »
Great info thanks, as you know the oil cooler hoses are VERY hard to route because of their stiffness and routing through the rad saddle, so the way I have them is pretty much it.

I decided to precut my PS return hoses and shields to your dimensions and see how they install. I used a little DIAL foaming had soap in a bottle to coat the hoses prior to installing the sleeves, that little bit of foam soap worked real well and the hoses slid on easily, then I just slid them each way a bit am wiped the soap off so they don't slid, the soap also dries, worked great.

This is what I have presently done and will try installing into my PS system, see attached pic of my newly built and detailed return hoses, they pretty much replicate my originals pictured earlier in this thread.

Thanks again for your help.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 07:56:03 PM »
Got the PS pump and hoses to it and the PS cooler installed as detailed previously. They went in and fit pretty well although the hose from the lower bracket to the PS cooler could stand to be 2" longer to better get around the Drag Pack Oil Cooler lines and clear the oil filter a bit better, but will work the way they are using the line lengths "specialed" provided.
The return line from the back of the pump to the PS oil cooler is pretty much completely hidden from top and bottom views so no good pics of that.