Author Topic: AC Condenser Detailing Questions  (Read 478 times)

Offline bjf1992

AC Condenser Detailing Questions
« on: November 12, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »
I am reinstalling the AC on the Cougar. The car was repainted once in the mid '70's and I think someone sprayed black paint on the condenser to cover up the Pastel Grey over spray......I think.....

Is there supposed to be any black over spray on the hose ends (red circles) in this picture?

Also, is the clamp that holds the hose to the dryer tube black as well or should it be bare (red circle)??

Dearborn April 2nd 1969
1969 Q Code Standard Cougar Convertible P/S, P/B, A/C
Pastel Grey, Lt. Blue interior Black Top
Built April 2nd, Dearborn

1969 Mustang Sportsroof
September 68 Build date, Metuchen

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: AC Condenser Detailing Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 01:16:56 AM »
I am reinstalling the AC on the Cougar. The car was repainted once in the mid '70's and I think someone sprayed black paint on the condenser to cover up the Pastel Grey over spray......I think.....

Is there supposed to be any black over spray on the hose ends (red circles) in this picture?

Also, is the clamp that holds the hose to the dryer tube black as well or should it be bare (red circle)??

Dearborn April 2nd 1969
There is not typically any black paint overspray on the hose ends.The hose end fittings and metal crimp were typically zinc gold. The clamp that holds the two hoses together was Phosphate and oil.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: AC Condenser Detailing Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:23:53 AM »
FYI the dryer in the picture is a service replacement. The assemblyline dryers and early service replacements had the bracket that holds it to the condenser as a band that went all the way around the dryer body instead of a short spot welded on piece. Yes they can be rebuilt . Yes it is about twice as much as what you can get a new one for plus you have to have a rebuildable core to start. Many are too far gone inside to rebuild.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby