Author Topic: Finish of Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves  (Read 655 times)

Offline hertz350

Finish of Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves
« on: November 11, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »
What is the color of the tie rod adjusting sleeves new from the assembly line from San Jose in March of 66? I have nos ones. One is painted black and one is unpainted, natural steel.

Thank you!

Online jwc66k

Re: Finish of Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 06:45:45 PM »
The sleeves and clamps are "natural", or early American rust. I prefer a "lite" phosphate and oil treatment to hold the rust off as long as possible. The hardware finish is a medium dark phosphate and oil. They are not painted.
See "Phosphate 101" in the "Processes, Products & Techniques" section of this forum.
Jim
Found my pictures.
Pic 1 Standard V8 Sleeves, 5/8 inch threads. Two required for 64-66, non-power steering Mustangs.
Pic 2 LH 64-66 V8 Power steering (not Shelby). Shown for reference. It's a 3/4 inch thread with square shoulder bolts. Worth it's weight in gold (or Pizza).
Pic 3 Both
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:19:52 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Finish of Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeves
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 07:47:57 PM »
What is the color of the tie rod adjusting sleeves new from the assembly line from San Jose in March of 66? I have nos ones. One is painted black and one is unpainted, natural steel.

Thank you!
The sleeve is bare steel . The clamps are typically slightly darker which I attribute to the fact that they are a slightly different spring steel .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby