Author Topic: Alternator feed wireing harness  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Road Reptile

Alternator feed wireing harness
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
  Hi,
Trying to help out my friend with a 69 351w Mach 1 (build date is March and the car has a heavy duty battery....verified by a Marti report.)Now the question is where do we find a new alternator harness with the proper gage wireing?All the repo types have much smaller wires especially the main feed wire.This may be unique to cars with the H.D.battery so if anyone has any ideas it would be great to hear from you.
Thanks! R.R.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Alternator feed wireing harness
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »
I doubt there was a special alternator harness, except for the alternator to battery load.  From the starter solenoid back, the loads should have been approximately equal regardless of alternator usage.  Current flow is a function of demand by the accessories and the car; not how much current the alternator can "push".  Further, Ford designed a safety factor of at least two in their wiring (where it can be ascertained by fuse size, actual current, and wire gauge size).  I would suspect there's an additional safety factor for non-fused wiring, such as the alternator to battery.

Just my opinion, of course.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Road Reptile

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 10:13:13 PM »
  Hi,
Thanks for the response.It seems that the best way out is to repair the original,so that is what he will do.The difference in wire size is major and I do not think it is wise to use the smaller reproduction harness.Pictures would be helpful if anyone has a 69 with the alternator off the engine.
        Thanks Again R.R.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »
I would be curious to know which wire(s) are larger than the standard (repro) version. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com