Author Topic: alternator wiring  (Read 433 times)

Offline 427Fastback

alternator wiring
« on: September 28, 2020, 10:41:37 PM »
Working on a 66 Fastback.It at one point in its life was a 6cyl auto...Having charging issues.The alt plug on the engine harness doesn't match up color wise.The wire on the right that should be ground and is full 12V all the time.The middle wire that as far as I know should be black /yellow and 12V is the wrong color (according to what I have found) and is dead.The white wire is the field wire and appears to be correct...Harness does not appear to be tampered with but that means nothing...I am void of factory 66 paperwork.I am a 67/68 guy

Are the colors on this plug correct...This is the engine harness side...

Thank you.

Offline 427Fastback

Re: alternator wiring
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 10:49:30 PM »
I have found a spot to far away where the harness has been violated....Time for some surgery

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 10:58:20 PM »
Working on a 66 Fastback.It at one point in its life was a 6cyl auto...Having charging issues.The alt plug on the engine harness doesn't match up color wise.The wire on the right that should be ground and is full 12V all the time.The middle wire that as far as I know should be black /yellow and 12V is the wrong color (according to what I have found) and is dead.The white wire is the field wire and appears to be correct...Harness does not appear to be tampered with but that means nothing...I am void of factory 66 paperwork.I am a 67/68 guy

Are the colors on this plug correct...This is the engine harness side...

Thank you.
That harness appears to be a reproduction . I only mention it because it could have been spliced into the harness. splices can be a source of problems if not done correctly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 427Fastback

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:45:03 PM »
I found a splice under the battery box...Its pretty bad...They only got the white wire correct..I am familiar with the repo harnesses.I have a correct plug from another harness and will splice it in...Not a concours car...