Author Topic: Front fender sound deadener application - 65 San Jose  (Read 562 times)

Offline TonyFio

Front fender sound deadener application - 65 San Jose
« on: August 12, 2020, 09:23:53 PM »
Regarding sound deadener in the front fender/wheel well area, specifically a 65 San Jose build, are there any original photos of this area that someone may share?
I'm asking about the inside of the outer, removable fender, not the outside of the engine compartment.
In Jeff Speegle's document on "Restoration Support 65 San Jose Unibody (Undercarriage)", paragraph 13 mentions that "On some cars (approx 40% of the sampling) the bottom side of the front fender received a single pass of the sound deadener applicator."
Is this referring to the removable fender and not the outside of the engine compartment?
Is there a time frame of which cars got this application?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 11:16:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front fender sound deadener application - 65 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 11:37:06 PM »
..In Jeff Speegle's document on "Restoration Support 65 San Jose Unibody (Undercarriage)", paragraph 13 mentions that "On some cars (approx 40% of the sampling) the bottom side of the front fender received a single pass of the sound deadener applicator."
Is this referring to the removable fender and not the outside of the engine compartment?

Since it states fender I was referring the removable fender. Not the inner fender panels, shock tower visible from the wheel side or the section of the firewall

Is there a time frame of which cars got this application?

Like the inner fender panel pattern one might see these all as random patterns but the majority appear to fall into patterns. Workers developed methods and patterns that would satisfy the inspectors and would figure that out quickly to get the job done in the allotted time allowed for the task.

Some times one would do extra, pause longer in a spot than on the last car, bend a wrist and direct the product in a slightly different direction. If too far off then do an extra pass to get the job done. Does not appear related to where the car was being sent - type of interior or other possible things from what I've seen. Of course the 40% of surface coverage is an estimation and an average since some might get 30% or 60%. Just trying to explain to the reader.

Here is an example of an example were the worker passed the wand/applicator over the rear firewall and splash shield surfaces, the bottom side of the fender (catching the inner fender lip to help with sealing that seam) and down over the head light bucket area and front splash shield

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:33:51 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I thought the paper meant that 40% of the cars got the treatment, rather than 40% of the surface. This helps.
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:51:04 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I thought the paper meant that 40% of the cars got the treatment, rather than 40% of the surface. This helps.

Will have to work on the wording of that section next time I do an update. Always find it difficult, in words , to describe variables (between this and that sort of thing) and so many just want me to show them one way so they can simply copy that. Problem is that many have done that by copying other cars or cars in magazines and we end up with a bunch of cookie cutter/clones that all look the same. Not what they were when they were original.

Glad to help - what we're here for ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)