Author Topic: Who makes the best fitting trunk seal  (Read 738 times)

Offline jtboss302

Who makes the best fitting trunk seal
« on: August 03, 2020, 02:48:27 PM »
I bought a 69 Mach 1 trunk seal that is in a Scott Drake bag and prior to installing the seal my trunk lid alignment was great.  After installing the seal I can not get my trunk lid to close correctly. it sits way too high.  The seal seems to big and is too firm.  Is there someone out there that makes a better seal?  Thanks in advance

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Who makes the best fitting trunk seal
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 03:14:57 PM »
I bought a 69 Mach 1 trunk seal that is in a Scott Drake bag and prior to installing the seal my trunk lid alignment was great.  After installing the seal I can not get my trunk lid to close correctly. it sits way too high.  The seal seems to big and is too firm.  Is there someone out there that makes a better seal?  Thanks in advance
If NOS is not a option then try Danial Carpenter because they are typically softer like OEM.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:13:25 AM »
I always pre align the deck lid with a seal taped in place, once done it always sits lower with out the seal, once installed no need for adjustment, of course this only works if you paint it with the deck lid permanently installed before painting, this applies to the doors also.  I notice from pics people post that most paint the doors and deck lid off their cars when painted.  Good luck!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 05:26:58 PM »
https://www.steelerubber.com/trunk-weatherstrip-20-2861-84

Worth considering since I found their A pillar weatherstrips to be great for my 65 Impala SS drop top.
They cared enough to reproduce the particular version required for my cars build date in the production year.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline 1967FEGT

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 12:58:03 AM »
I have the Carpenter and threw away the Drake. My decklid fits perfectly without a seal and sits up on one side with the seal.
The Carpenter seal didn't solve the issue.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »
I have the Carpenter and threw away the Drake. My decklid fits perfectly without a seal and sits up on one side with the seal.
The Carpenter seal didn't solve the issue.
When fitting the decklid many body men will typically go through 2 of the same mfg seals . A sacrifice seal to do what has to be done for proper fit prior to painting. The first seal used in proper fit is trash once it is removed prior to paint .  A second seal is installed after painting and installation of trunklid.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby