Author Topic: 1966 San Jose Carbys  (Read 1619 times)

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
1966 San Jose Carbys
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »
okay my question relates to what are the differences if any between C6ZF-A (NON CALIFORNIAN) and C6ZF-D (CALIFORNIAN) carbs for 1966 mustang application only. Both are manual applications.

this question is also relevant to automatic application as well which are C6ZF-B (NON CALIFORNIAN)  and C6ZF-E (CALIFORNIAN)

I recently pulled apart one of each of these carbs for restoration projects and was unable to find anything that relates to a difference in the parts.
now im not saying for a minute that either of these carbs have never been restored or apart before. so I don't know if anything has been removed or replaced.

I definitely have two unrestored original carbs on cars still but im not willing to touch these at present.

Thought Jeff Speegle may be the man on this matter but will throw it out there for others to comment on as well.

Pictures would be great, look forward to comments

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 San Jose Carbys
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »
That's a good question, with some simple answers. The bodies are the same as they use the same casting, it's the internals that make the difference. The main jets are completely different for all four, typically California smog carburetors use a smaller jet, the secondary jets are the same except for the non smog auto, the booster venturies are different and the chokes covers are different for manual and automatic transmissions (that's typical though). The adjustable settings are different too, but that is not physical. The 66 Comet, Falcon, Fairlane and Mustang Shop Manual documents this well. If you find the same main jet used on the four different carburetors, it would most likely be due to someone "tinkering". 
Jim
Drink some "Yellow Tail", it helps  ;)
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »
I thought a hot idle compensator on the air horn was unique to the T/E version of this carb?  I have my original early '66 T/E carb and will dig it out and take a look unless someone else posts more info.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 03:36:42 PM »
I thought a hot idle compensator on the air horn was unique to the T/E version of this carb?  I have my original early '66 T/E carb and will dig it out and take a look unless someone else posts more info.
You are correct - at least the "6Z-E" does. It's the only one I have that's Cal smog. The carb on my 66 Hardtop AT is a "6Z-B" and it has the cast in bosses for compensator installation but does not have the hole and is not tapped.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 07:32:13 PM »
Phil not allot of 2V carb shots (owners don't always like me pulling air cleaners ;)  to offer but as far as info I think the guys covered it well as far as differences. Here are a few pictures to illustrate the the major external differences - the  hot idle compensator

Interesting that the last two pictures are from that late 66 car I look at for you (late San Jose without Therm) and it had a dated C6DF-B tag on it

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:16:09 PM »
I'm a bit confused. Did 1966 Mustangs use a hot idle compensator like the pictures in the first two examples.