Author Topic: 2 quick(?) questions  (Read 711 times)

Offline hankmeister

2 quick(?) questions
« on: June 19, 2020, 02:10:35 PM »
Thank you in advance!
1. If nothing is mentioned as far as wheels go, what would be the most likely style? When I bought the car in 1981, it already had Cragar style 5-spoke chrome wheels. About 1983 I bought a set of NOS 14x6 Magnum 500's from Sanderson Ford in Glendale, AZ. Those are still on the car and look fine, but I've toyed with the idea of going back to "original". As a side note, the Marti report does state the optional F70x14 whitewall tires were ordered.

2. For the hot water transfer tube (goes to the heater core over/along the right valve cover on the 4V 351C), is it painted Ford blue (as the engine), or does it stay plain metal? My original is sadly long gone, but I have purchased the replacement. In most pix of engine compartments, it's either not there or not in sharp enough detail to tell.

best
Hank
Hank
70 Fastback
351C / 4 bbl / 4 spd / front disc brakes
No a/c or p/s
Wimbledon Wht

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 2 quick(?) questions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »
1. If nothing is mentioned as far as wheels go, what would be the most likely style? When I bought the car in 1981, it already had Cragar style 5-spoke chrome wheels. About 1983 I bought a set of NOS 14x6 Magnum 500's from Sanderson Ford in Glendale, AZ. Those are still on the car and look fine, but I've toyed with the idea of going back to "original". As a side note, the Marti report does state the optional F70x14 whitewall tires were ordered.

As I understand Marti's reports, unless there is an option or package that includes a certain wheel or wheel cover then the car came with the standard base wheel and cover combination.

2. For the hot water transfer tube (goes to the heater core over/along the right valve cover on the 4V 351C), is it painted Ford blue (as the engine), or does it stay plain metal? My original is sadly long gone, but I have purchased the replacement. In most pix of engine compartments, it's either not there or not in sharp enough detail to tell.

It's painted the same blue as the engine

Related thread. Used the words "70 heater" in the search

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8115.msg46832#msg46832
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline hankmeister

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 11:05:49 AM »
As I understand Marti's reports, unless there is an option or package that includes a certain wheel or wheel cover then the car came with the standard base wheel and cover combination.

It's painted the same blue as the engine

Related thread. Used the words "70 heater" in the search

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8115.msg46832#msg46832
Thanks Jeff. Your answer provides another question: would my non-A/C car also have a heater shutoff valve as pictured in your linked thread? Mucho appreciated! 8)

Hank
Hank
70 Fastback
No a/c or p/s
Wimbledon Wht

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »
Shouldn't have a heater core valve if not A/C. Assuming your car is not a mach I the original hubcaps looked like these.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »
Agree that the design was (for non AC) to not incorporate a shut off to keep fluid from circulating through the heater core. No shut off between the hoses and tube to the core
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »
Likely someone installed the shut-off valve due to a leaking heater core, I'll wager...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline hankmeister

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »
Shouldn't have a heater core valve if not A/C. Assuming your car is not a mach I the original hubcaps looked like these.
Excellent, thanks to all for your help.  :)

best
H
Hank
70 Fastback
No a/c or p/s
Wimbledon Wht