Author Topic: 70 302 Battery Ground Cable Routing to Block  (Read 1334 times)

Offline tminihan

70 302 Battery Ground Cable Routing to Block
« on: June 10, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »
I just purchased a battery ground cable from CJPP.  It is routed from the battery ground terminal to upper voltage regulator mount and then on to the block, near the dipstick.  The section from the VR to the engine block is too short to clip in to the lower plastic "O" clip in the inner fender.  Is it supposed to go through this clip?  We bought a rolling shell so I don't have any "before" info.  Thanks, Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 302 Battery Ground Cable Routing to Block
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you find the information, tips and support needed for your concours focused restoration projects

Do you happen to know where your car was built? And maybe when?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tminihan

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:48:16 AM »
Hi Jeff, according to my Marti Report - Dearborn 12/69. 
Thanks, Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
Since they could so often fall out of the retainer (if ever installed in it)  or placed in the retainer (owner making things neater) I suggest that you start with the assembly manuals to get an idea of what Ford wanted or planned to happen for at least some of the year. Plus it should be much clearer than the pictures I'm providing at the moment. In this case don't know how trusting we can be in unrestored car examples since its so easy to do it one way of the other.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:55:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tminihan

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 05:05:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Jeff.  I recently bought an electronic reproduction of the assembly manuals but find the resolution isn't quite what I need to make out the small details.  Is there a hard copy brand that is good quality? 

Thanks for the pics, I may see if NPD can provide a measurement to see if their cables are any longer. 
Thanks, Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 05:46:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Jeff.  I recently bought an electronic reproduction of the assembly manuals but find the resolution isn't quite what I need to make out the small details.  Is there a hard copy brand that is good quality? 

Thanks for the pics, I may see if NPD can provide a measurement to see if their cables are any longer. 
Thanks, Tom

Didn't know that the assembly manuals were available in electronic form. Sure your not referring to the MPC (Master Parts Catalog)?  Two completely different things. The assembly manuals are less general and more focus just on Mustang (will have some notes about Cougars and a few other models in the drive train related manuals) .  If what you have, has other model type (Fairlane, LTD and so on) and is in only two forms (separate text and illustrations) then its a generic MPC. Assembly Manuals are also printed for specific years only.
Jeff Speegle

Offline tminihan

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:55:10 PM »
It might be the parts catalog.  I recall seeing individual assembly manuals on Ebay, I thought I purchased a "compilation" of all of them in pdf.  I'll take another look on Ebay. 
Thanks, Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
It might be the parts catalog.  ...

Yep. And likely based on the 72 version so many of the part numbers will be replacement/superseded numbers rather than original. Pictures will be generic and sometimes incorrect for your application. designed to help the counter guys at Ford to identify and find parts to sell and owner of a car that would fit/work from the currently (what ever year that was) inventory

We just added a similar version to each Official year list in the Library for members to use through the efforts of member - jwc66k

Announcement - http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=22691.0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:01:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 06:37:22 PM »

Didn't know that the assembly manuals were available in electronic form.
NPD lists 4 CD sets in Adobe .pdf format, but they are not by "logical" groups. Theirs are 64-65, 66-67, 68-70, 71-73.
I'll take the full size book form.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 06:55:11 PM »
Got to apologize I was not clear as to what you were asking - should have confirmed. Because of this well remove the pictures I posted above since they are for a different applications/examples. Will search and repost when I have the right ones    :-[

Brain was on Boss 302 for some reason when you didn't ask for that

Sorry   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 07:15:04 PM »
Going to double down on the recommendation of the assembly manuals since that short small area of 70's is difficult to see and take pictures with the voltage regulator, snorkels and other items in the way of a good view.  Can't recall the routing that was on the nice original unrestored 70 Dearborn cars I've owned with the F code engine :(
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
The original question missed one point, what is the length of the cable you have? Per the 75 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC), there was a change in length of the battery ground cable on 10/06/69 from 42 inches to 44 inches for what looks like all engines. Which brings up another question, what engine are you trying to wire up? Get in the habit of listing your VIN, at least up to the last two numbers (use "xx" for the last two). The VIN gives up plant, body type, engine and approximate build date. It could make a difference.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline tminihan

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 10:21:59 PM »
Thanks Jim, I'll include VIN in future posts (0F02F148459).  Late this afternoon I contacted Marti Auto Works.  Eric measured a cable on the shelf and theirs is about 3" longer from the inner fender bracket to the engine block ring connector than what I received from CJPP, so I'll be ordering their cable in the morning.  The extra three inches should allow it to pass through the bottom retainer.  I'll measure the total length when I remove the cable, it might be the 42" that Jim mentioned.  I plan to order the Assembly Manuals tomorrow as well. 

I appreciate everyone's prompt input on my post.  Thanks, Tom