Author Topic: Spring perch bushings  (Read 530 times)

Offline evantugby

Spring perch bushings
« on: May 18, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »
Gents,
Restoring my suspension and I noticed my new spring perch bushings don’t appear to be the correct appearance.  Can you verify and if they are not where is a concours-correct bushing? 

1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Spring perch bushings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
Gents,
Restoring my suspension and I noticed my new spring perch bushings don’t appear to be the correct appearance.  Can you verify and if they are not where is a concours-correct bushing?
They need to have a bare steel appearance the same as the spring perch.There are a number of different ways to make that happen . This is how I do it. I dunk them in a bath of Muriatic acid for about two minutes so that the zinc plating disappears.Use caution!!Use safety glasses and rubber gloves.  Rinse in water then dry with towel . After dry teat with rust inhibitor. If you blow dry they will flash rust.This is just the way I do it .Others may do it differently.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
They need to have a bare steel appearance the same as the spring perch.There are a number of different ways to make that happen . This is how I do it. I dunk them in a bath of Muriatic acid for about two minutes so that the zinc plating disappears.Use caution!!Use safety glasses and rubber gloves.  Rinse in water then dry with towel . After dry teat with rust inhibitor. If you blow dry they will flash rust.This is just the way I do it .Others may do it differently.

Bob,
My thought is this:  I prefer to keep original parts so it is much of a thoroughbred as possible.  With that being said, Since I can’t find a concours-correct bushing for the spring perches and since it is not necessary to replace the bushing, should I keep the original bushing in place?  Would like to hear what people think. 

Thanks all! 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2020, 05:44:05 PM »
Those are known to squawk and make noises, even driving across a parking lot (or being pushed if a "never started" Thoroughbred).  I would change them.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments