Author Topic: Axel vent questions  (Read 842 times)

Offline ruppstang

Axel vent questions
« on: April 27, 2021, 10:23:54 PM »
Does someone have a NOS axel vent hose that shows the clamp indexing band and the distance that band is from the axel end. The assembly manual shows a grommet used in the body. Were the grommets consistently used. I did not find one in this Metuchen car.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Axel vent questions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 10:48:51 PM »
Does someone have a NOS axel vent hose that shows the clamp indexing band and the distance that band is from the axel end. The assembly manual shows a grommet used in the body. Were the grommets consistently used. I did not find one in this Metuchen car.
The NOS one I opened is 15 3/4 to the middle of the yellow mark. Good luck trying to get the hose to fit in the grommet .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 12:31:40 AM »
The NOS one I opened is 15 3/4 to the middle of the yellow mark. Good luck trying to get the hose to fit in the grommet .

Perfect just what I needed!

LOL been there done that, lost the grommet in the body trying to push the hose through. Possibly why most cars do not have the grommet.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 08:37:14 PM »
Sometimes I've been able to attach the hose and the grommet together before installing the grommet into the hole. - just getting it started - maybe a couple of inches inserted  as a start and a place keeper. Hose flexed enough to allow me to work the lip in the grommet in and around carefully with a somewhat thin nylon weather strip tool
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, mission accomplished. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »
I think the repro grommets are softer/more flexible than original too...

I've also pushed a couple through into the hole... not fun!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:30 PM »
there is a trick to that. tie a piece if thin string around- thru the grommet. insert grommet in hole then remove string.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 04:05:51 PM »
there is a trick to that. tie a piece if thin string around- thru the grommet. insert grommet in hole then remove string.
I've used a small, flat blade screwdriver to do the same function.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.