Author Topic: Spring finish & paint markings on 69 SCJ C6 auto mach SJ built no AC no PS  (Read 781 times)

Offline jtboss302

Hi Jeff,  Tim here up in Yuba City.  I have a 1969 Mach 1 with the 428SCJ and C6 that was built in San Jose with drum brakes and no AC and no PS,  I don't have a build sheet to get paint markings from so I have a few questions

1)   It seems in the past there was discussion that San Jose cars used FRONT springs with P&O finish and eastern cars were painted black.   Do you know if that's been resolved/do you know what finish should be on my FRONT springs? 

2)  What paint markings should be on my FRONT springs?  I believe its Pink and Gold as I saw pink daubs when I bead blasted them.   

3)  What are the correct paint stripes for my REAR springs.  The springs part numbers are C9ZA 5556 G 8AL and C9ZA 5556 G 8OE, so from what research I found here is that they should be violet and gold.   

4)  Never a stupid question I guess, but since my springs have different numbers on them, is one springs intended for a particular side of the car?  Possibly to handle more torque?   

Thanks in advance for you awesome help on this stuff and for the quick response to my firewall paint question last week.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:49:13 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Hi Jeff,  Tim here up in Yuba City.  I have a 1969 Mach 1 with the 428SCJ and C6 that was built in San Jose with drum brakes and no AC and no PS,  I don't have a build sheet to get paint markings from so I have a few questions

1)   It seems in the past there was discussion that San Jose cars used FRONT springs with P&O finish and eastern cars were painted black.   Do you know if that's been resolved/do you know what finish should be on my FRONT springs? 

Believe you will find that you will find reports of both natural and painted springs on "eastern" 69 cars on the forum. As for your particular car I'm pretty confident that originals were heat treated steel (unpainted natural) finish though some may use P&O  to reproduce that dark finish there are many other better, IMHO options as shown in a dozen or more threads and articles
on the site

2)  What paint markings should be on my FRONT springs?  I believe its Pink and Gold as I saw pink daubs when I bead blasted them.   

69 428 SCJ with auto Mach I with no AC or PS - buildsheets show  1 Gold & 1 Pink

Example - out of the car and sitting upside down from how they would be installed in the car.

3)  What are the correct paint stripes for my REAR springs.  The springs part numbers are C9ZA 5556 G 8AL and C9ZA 5556 G 8OE, so from what research I found here is that they should be violet and gold.   

C9AZ-Gs were marked with Gold and Violet stripes on the longest leaf at the rear where the shackle attaches. Sometimes the worker assigned to the task got them applied backwards  ::)

And a restored set applied in their original order

4)  Never a stupid question I guess, but since my springs have different numbers on them, is one springs intended for a particular side of the car?  Possibly to handle more torque?   

They are not different springs (both C9AZ-G) only the date codes vary and one could anticipate

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtboss302

Thanks again for the help Jeff.  So regarding the front coils, I must be blind but didn't see posts relating to refinishing.   In your opinion, what method do you think is best?  Gun metal blue or P&O or is there a link in here with a better method?   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Thanks again for the help Jeff.  So regarding the front coils, I must be blind but didn't see posts relating to refinishing.   In your opinion, what method do you think is best?  Gun metal blue or P&O or is there a link in here with a better method?

Since they have relatively easy to do with gun bluing repair fluid that has been my choice int he past. If your going to use something like Insta-black to to the rear springs and dip/soak then in a "tank" or home made tank then your going to be purchasing a larger volume of that product and you can use it for both in that situation. Guess I'm trying to say no reason buying two products and spending the money except if you want to

If you use the gun bluing the brush or rag application should be used ( produces a darker initial finish quickly) rather than the steel wool application on the springs
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtboss302

Thanks Jeff, I used bun blue on the rear springs so I think its best to continue with the front coils in the same manner