Author Topic: Heater Control Restoration  (Read 1077 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Heater Control Restoration
« on: February 22, 2020, 08:16:12 AM »
I am presently trying to figure out how to repair/restore the silver color on my heat control bezel and could use some help. I would like to know if it is chrome over plastic like the instrument and clock bezels or is it silver paint? Secondly what is the best way to go about restoring this bezel silver color??
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Heater Control Restoration
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Believe its light argent paint. If you just want to redo the edge and not repair the slot I've used a Testor paint pen (like a paint type felt tip pen) in the past. Haven't purchased on for a while so don't know if they are still available. Guess you could use a brush if your careful and don't leave any brush marks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 08:37:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jeff, it looks like paint in some places and chrome in other, depending on how the light hits it. I have some Testors silver chrome paint in a bottle and will try brushing that and see how it looks, will do some test samples first.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »
With the "plastic chrome" finish the whole part (in this case the face) would have been completely "plated" with the vacuum form process and then the black or other paint applied over the plating. Never found any of the "chrome" on the back side, edges or under the black so just the edge being painted makes sense IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
I use this Testor's marker on my hood scoop.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »
That's a good point Jeff, about the chrome on the back you are correct, the instrument bezels have chrome on the back sides in places and the heater control does not so it must be paint. Will see if I can find the Testors marker, thanks guys.

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 02:32:42 AM »
There's a better way to do it if you want to go to the trouble.  If you're interested let me know. I'll provide the list and where to get them. It actually looks like chrome and won't come off when you clean it.
                                                                   -Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 05:15:52 PM »
There's a better way to do it if you want to go to the trouble.  If you're interested let me know. I'll provide the list and where to get them. It actually looks like chrome and won't come off when you clean it.

Not sure that he should be looking for a finish that looks close to gauge bezel look but your method might be useful if someone was attempting to repair or touch up those finishes
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
Jeff: I am going to post the procedure openly with product information and written instruction. I did this on a friend's pair of Boss cars.  There is more than one sheen in this material so it allows some personalization/factory match.  I am flying the next four days but I will get the technique posted next week.

-Keith

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
Jeff: I am going to post the procedure openly with product information and written instruction. I did this on a friend's pair of Boss cars.  There is more than one sheen in this material so it allows some personalization/factory match.  I am flying the next four days but I will get the technique posted next week.

Sounds great - post it over in the Processes, Products & Techniques  section for all to learn from and apply as they see fit

Pictures :) always help also
Jeff Speegle

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 04:50:50 PM »
As you know I have a 67 Shelby, so this process isn't applicable to me. I have done two for another. I will show the product, tools and explain the process.  Hopefully that will help others.
                                                                      -Keith