Author Topic: Firewall Ground screw location - 1966 San Jose  (Read 701 times)

Offline gimmea250swb

Firewall Ground screw location - 1966 San Jose
« on: January 06, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
So I pulled my heater box to put in a correct cardboard plenum.  I understand the location of the grounding screw is not in the right location - it actually screwed into the mounting plate of the heater box.  I'm considering fixing this since I've got time over the winter.  Could somebody please confirm the correct location of the screw?  I found what I believe is correct in one of the unrestored photos but want to make sure.  I've posted a question in the paint section on how to repair the hole if somebody woudl like to help with that too.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:06:43 PM by J_Speegle »
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline kb65

Re: Firewall screw location
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 05:00:16 PM »
my feb 65 nj fastback is like the second picture screw in the rib.
If yours never had a hole in the rib maybe the other picture is correct for your car, plant,build date.

ken
ken

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 05:18:57 PM »
Here's a pic of May build 66 Shelby (SJ).     You might be able to find remnants of a hole on the rib.
Greg Z

Offline gimmea250swb

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:51:52 PM »
Hi All, thank you for your response.

Jeff, Thanks for the recommendation on the signature block.  I've updated it and we'll see if it works on this post.  This question is for my Shelby which was built somewhere between Dec '65 and Jan '66 is my guess.  It looks like gjz30075's photo should be fairly accurate.  I appreciate all of your help! 
'66 Shelby Feb build
'65 FB 5T09T164019

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 05:08:42 PM »
Jeff, Thanks for the recommendation on the signature block.  I've updated it and we'll see if it works on this post.  This question is for my Shelby which was built somewhere between Dec '65 and Jan '66 is my guess.  It looks like gjz30075's photo should be fairly accurate.  I appreciate all of your help!

Removed my earlier post and pictures since they didn't reflect the car, production period and plant you were looking for.  Did you happen to look to see if there were any pictures of this area in threads in the Unrestored Picture Thread section of the site?  The May 66 example may be located in the same spot - we'll see just to confirm

Even though the location may turn out to be the same this time we need to be careful and diligent in providing the best and more correct responses possible. We'll leave the "its close enough or good enough" for other forums and publications ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:19:23 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall Ground screw location - 1966 San Jose
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 05:29:39 PM »
Here are four examples from San Jose cars likely completed in Dec 1965

Remember that screw and wire are the only thing attached to the firewall or passes through that workers were not suppose to seal since it was attached after the engine was installed

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 06:06:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)