Author Topic: 69 BOSS 302 Cowl paint questions  (Read 733 times)

Offline 69BOSS302

69 BOSS 302 Cowl paint questions
« on: December 15, 2019, 08:55:38 PM »
Hello all, I have a 69 May 23rd build BOSS 302 (built in Dearborn) and I have the hood, fenders, and the cowl off. Currently I have the flat body cowl painted Acapulco Blue of the car and it goes down vertical to the first firewall pinch weld. What is the correct application of paint (black) for this area? Does someone have a picture of a restored car with the fenders and hood and cowl off that I could look at. Jeff and I have been emailing, but I'm still confused if:

1)  the flat cowl part should be body colour or blacked out
2)  If blacked out, how far and where the black paint is applied
3)  is it semigloss or flat black like the engine compartment.

Sorry for the simple questions, but I want this done right. If you wish, my email is philip@electrogas.ca in case you cannot load pictures on here.

I did look through the 69 San Hose Cowl to Engine bay thread, but as mine was built in Dearborn, i cannot use it as an accurate guide.

Thank you all for your help.
69 BOSS 302
9F02G198123
May 23, 1969 - Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 BOSS 302 Cowl paint questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
Let me see if I can make it clearer. Remember this was not Boss 302 detail and the process appears to have been a change for all Dearborn built Mustangs so Shelbys, Boss's, Mach I's  and 6 cylinder coupes would all share this detail

1)  the flat cowl part should be body colour or blacked out

The face (towards the engine compartment) and the top surface Except typically out at the extreme ends of the (outer left and right) of the cowl) were painted the engine compartment black. This typically meant that one of fenders and cowl cover were installed you would not see body color between the firewall to cowl pinch weld and forward edge of the cowl cover, between the engine compartment and fenders or  between the defroster ducts, dash pad and windshield gaps. 

2)  If blacked out, how far and where the black paint is applied

To the bottom edge of the windshield opening. Since it was applied from the front of the car the shape of the metal would create shadows in some areas. See the threads listed below

3)  is it semigloss or flat black like the engine compartment.

Engine compartment black was used and the paint on these surfaces was applied at the same time and by the same painted as the inside of the engine compartment

I did look through the 69 San Hose Cowl to Engine bay thread, but as mine was built in Dearborn, i cannot use it as an accurate guide.

Some related threads

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18519.msg133669#msg133669

Dearborn pictures included in this one also

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4435.msg24637#msg24637

More

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16577.msg103850#msg103850

In an additional point/detail Mach I's and Boss's would have also had black hood and cowl paint introduced additional black paint (different type) into this area below the cowl cover but over the cowl and wiper assembly much later in the paint process but that is another subject. Just thought that also should be mentioned

Should likely add this to the 69 Dearborn Undercarriage Detail article since I did cover a related subject in the 65-67 ones.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:51:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)