Author Topic: 1969 Tail Light Panel Seal  (Read 1074 times)

Offline ninedrvr

1969 Tail Light Panel Seal
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:14:56 PM »
How did they seal the fiberglass tail light panel against the remnants of the mustang steel tail panel? Also while I'm asking about the tail light panel, what are people using for license plate lamp replacements?

Jim
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: 1969 Tail Light Panel Seal
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:00:48 AM »
Mind you mine is more than likely wrong, but I found a white material attached to my tail light panel when I got my car. I say this is more than likely incorrect as mine was rear ended at least 2x before I got it. But you asked what people are using. So I used white caulking compound (non-silicone type) as that looked like it would be the closest replacement to what I found. And though my two license plate light holders are slightly different from each other, I used what I had. No idea what to replace them with.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:36:43 AM »
How did they seal the fiberglass tail light panel against the remnants of the mustang steel tail panel? Also while I'm asking about the tail light panel, what are people using for license plate lamp replacements?

Jim
From AO Smith who did the Shelby conversion was a medium to dark gray strip like caulk. With lic plate lights you can make something up using a combination of lights combined into a finished light sourced from NAPA . To answer the next question I see coming It has been a few years since I had to do some and don't recall the parts used. I would have to invent it all over again. If I can do it surely someone else can figure it out too.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online tobkob

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
The license plate lamps were originally sourced from an early 60's pickup if I remember correctly. :D

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.