Author Topic: 65 Dearborn Rear Valance Screw Finish  (Read 899 times)

Offline 65KGT

• 65KGT
65 Dearborn Rear Valance Screw Finish
« on: October 26, 2019, 05:40:27 PM »
Installed screws would have been tight IMHO

Even with the screws tightly installed along the top (not over tightened) the valance will hang down.  Screws were not tightened or retightened after the paint job   at any of the plants and we don't find evidence of them being tightened after paint on unrestored cars.

Remember that if it was built at Dearborn or NJ all the screws were installed prior to exterior paint at San Jose only two screws were installed prior to paint

I have a May 65 Dearborn Fastback. Currently all of the rear valance screws are painted as noted above. Sometimes I lose a point for this when showing at MCA events. The car is going off to paint this week so I just wanted to verify that all screws should be painted.  I also found another post from Brant showing his June 64 Dearborn car that appears to only have the two painted screws like San Jose. So maybe plant and when built variations.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15242.msg99118#msg99118

Thanks to all the great info on this site my car finally earned gold in concours driven at the Grand National this year.

James

August 64 Dearborn Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 Dearborn Rear Valance Screw Finish
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 06:56:15 PM »
Thanks for bringing this up James. Looks like my prior understanding deserves some addition focus, discussion and input. We're all learning here and after a year or more there are more members and car's we've collected data from

Did go back and alter that quoted post so that others will look for this thread if they own such a car.

Really difficult to find details of the finishes unless you take pictures of those screws or look for them specifically since they are some what hidden out of view. The whole plan on the design.

Knowing many of the members I know there is a group of them with very nice unrestored 65 Dearborn cars that should be able to report on the finishes, style of screws used on when their cars were built.  One of the questions for the site would be to see if the pattern stayed the same through the production year and any other details we uncover.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 07:08:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:15:02 PM »
So went through my pictures and offer the following for comparison and discussion. In no particular order so choose in numerical order 

5F07A2706  Two different style of screws used Appears all may be unpainted except for the second from the end

5F389xx Appear to be all painted

5F6003xx

Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »
The Dearborn May '65 GT convertible I restored 10 or so years back had all the screws painted body color.  Can't say if they were all like that at Dearborn or not, but I put back what I found.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 65KGT

• 65KGT
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks very much for taking the time to find these additional photos. It is hard to find clear photos of this area and I had not been able to find any good examples from unrestored cars.

My car was originally "restored" around '89 in northern California and most of it was detailed like a San Jose car, these screws being one exception. Based on your evidence below, I think I will follow Charles' lead and leave them all in during the repaint. Easier to change later if needed as more data becomes available.
August 64 Dearborn Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:14:43 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks very much for taking the time to find these additional photos. It is hard to find clear photos of this area and I had not been able to find any good examples from unrestored cars.

My car was originally "restored" around '89 in northern California and most of it was detailed like a San Jose car, these screws being one exception. Based on your evidence below, I think I will follow Charles' lead and leave them all in during the repaint. Easier to change later if needed as more data becomes available.

Sounds like a plan and yes it appears we have mixed findings at this time.
Jeff Speegle