Author Topic: Under car primer Question  (Read 934 times)

Offline big bad blue

Under car primer Question
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:23:26 PM »
 70 Cougar. Was the underneath primered before the Slop Gray was sprayed on? Or was the Slop Gray sprayed directly on bare metal?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:52:03 PM by J_Speegle »
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: clarify under car primer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 08:46:15 PM »
Not sure (since its a Cougar) if your car was built at San Jose or Dearborn but the answer is the same. The slop gray or what ever color tint was being used that day was applied to bare metal. No need for a primer and the product was an epoxy primer sealer with other paints mixed in. Its listed that way as a description in Ford documents
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fvike

Re: clarify under car primer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:38:54 PM »
Not sure (since its a Cougar) if your car was built at San Jose or Dearborn but the answer is the same. The slop gray or what ever color tint was being used that day was applied to bare metal. No need for a primer and the product was an epoxy primer sealer with other paints mixed in. Its listed that way as a description in Ford documents

I read somewhere, sometime, that slop gray wasn't used at San Jose. Parts that would be slop gray at Dearborn or Metuchen, would be flat black at San Jose. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Under car primer Question
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »
I read somewhere, sometime, that slop gray wasn't used at San Jose. Parts that would be slop gray at Dearborn or Metuchen, would be flat black at San Jose. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guess you can't always believe what you read plus allot of stuff you can find on the internet can be very dated and we've learned allot over the years.  Their use to be a belief that San Jose never used buck tags either ;)

The thread is about the undercarriage but I'm confused if your asking about the undercarriage or the finish on some of the individual bolt on parts used on 69-70?  IF its the individual parts I invite you to find the article in the Library that focus's on the subject. If its the undercarriage we can address that general subject here ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:54:24 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: Under car primer Question
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 01:23:54 PM »
70 Cougar. Was the underneath primered before the Slop Gray was sprayed on? Or was the Slop Gray sprayed directly on bare metal?
For primer on the body it is usually called batch gray and for parts it is usually called slop gray in an effort to distinguish them. Or at least that's my interpretation. ::)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 01:43:18 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is