Author Topic: 1970 Mustang Upper Ball Joint  (Read 2330 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Re: 1970 Mustang Upper Ball Joint
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
Hi Bob, thanks for your input. I am building the car as a show car but also will drive it a little. I know that the hard core concours guys will freak out at what I am doing but its my car and am building it for me. I am trying to replicate the concours look and details but with tweaks to somewhat do what we did in the day to our new cars, like headers bigger tires etc. yet still maintain the factory details. If this car ever see's 1000 miles once complete I would be surprised let alone bumpy roads and grease weeping out. I have pretty much powder coated, ceramic coated, plated or painted every piece on the car to replicate the look and color of the original pieces, why because I want to drive it and have the metal protected. I do have some NOS suspension replacement parts I can install not quite exact but I want to use my rebuilt originals on the car. I have used SD uppers and lowers to dummy up the suspension and will install the refurbished uppers and lowers for final assembly. I have attached several pictures to show the NOS parts I have and a shot of the front of the car to show you what I am doing. I have considered all the comments in this thread and am going to install the C7 boots on my original ball joints and will use an adhesive to hold the bottom of the boot to the ball joint, as the glue will never be seen and will work like the metal ring on the D0 boot. I would like to use the DO boots but feel the huge cost for those can be spent better else where on the car. Again thanks for all the input, BTW I particularly liked the article you did on the Boss rear axel rebuild to factory original details, I have pretty much redone mine to the same standards including a custom paper tag from Deadnuts which they made for me as my gear ratio was unique for the year and engine tranny combo.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2019, 03:29:34 PM »
Hi Bob, thanks for your input. I am building the car as a show car but also will drive it a little. I know that the hard core concours guys will freak out at what I am doing but its my car and am building it for me. I am trying to replicate the concours look and details but with tweaks to somewhat do what we did in the day to our new cars, like headers bigger tires etc. yet still maintain the factory details. If this car ever see's 1000 miles once complete I would be surprised let alone bumpy roads and grease weeping out. I have pretty much powder coated, ceramic coated, plated or painted every piece on the car to replicate the look and color of the original pieces, why because I want to drive it and have the metal protected. I do have some NOS suspension replacement parts I can install not quite exact but I want to use my rebuilt originals on the car. I have used SD uppers and lowers to dummy up the suspension and will install the refurbished uppers and lowers for final assembly. I have attached several pictures to show the NOS parts I have and a shot of the front of the car to show you what I am doing. I have considered all the comments in this thread and am going to install the C7 boots on my original ball joints and will use an adhesive to hold the bottom of the boot to the ball joint, as the glue will never be seen and will work like the metal ring on the D0 boot. I would like to use the DO boots but feel the huge cost for those can be spent better else where on the car. Again thanks for all the input, BTW I particularly liked the article you did on the Boss rear axel rebuild to factory original details, I have pretty much redone mine to the same standards including a custom paper tag from Deadnuts which they made for me as my gear ratio was unique for the year and engine tranny combo.
That was Bob Perkins and not Bob Gaines that you refer to that was in the magazine article . ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
sorry yes you are correct, nice article though
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers