Author Topic: 1968 C Code 289 Fan Shroud and Radiator Overflow  (Read 413 times)

Offline dkknab

1968 C Code 289 Fan Shroud and Radiator Overflow
« on: August 11, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »
Hello.  I just bought a C code Sprint B with a build date of April 8, 1968. It does not have a fan shroud nor a radiator overflow.  Were either of those  ever originally on the car? The previous owner attached a plastic bottle to the overflow hose so I'm wondering if one really was supposed to be installed.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline 67gta289

Re: 1968 C Code 289 Fan Shroud and Radiator Overflow
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 09:02:47 AM »
Welcome to the site.  Does it have A/C or not?  Extra/heavy duty cooling or not?  If neither, no shroud based on what I've seen.  If you don't know about the cooling option, the Marti report should list that.

Regarding the radiator overflow, you said first that it does not have one, and later say that it does but appears to be previous owner modified.  I presume you are asking about an overflow capture system, which the Mustang did not have originally.  The overflow is relieved by the radiator cap through a tube, then transitioning to a hose that runs across the top of the radiator and down the side.  It is open to atmosphere, there is no mechanism to capture anything that is evacuated.

You should check out the 1968 Mustang unrestored picture threads - pictures are worth a thousand words.  This is a link to a J code, no AC:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=187.0
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
Radiator coolant was never filled "full to the bottom of the cap" or it would push the coolant out the overflow. Typically, "FULL" is any amount over the top of the tubes seen in the radiator core, often as much as half full of the upper tank but usually less than the upper tank being 1/2 full by my observations (to not ever see coolant loss out the overfow).

Original radiator caps were never designed to accommodate the coolant recovery system. Coolant Recovery systems became prominent during the 70's, it was discovered that the oxygen going in and out of the radiator vent tube (overflow tube) was causing premature corrosion and degradation of the coolant itself. Many owners bought conversion kits in later years because of this then, "new design".
On daily driven examples, it is still a good upgrade, just like shoulder belts, power disc brakes, collapsible steering columns and the likes of safety/convenience upgrades but NONE of these are original equipment and thus a topic for another forum or discussed at this forum in the Lounge.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 11:00:44 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline dkknab

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 12:20:13 PM »
Thank you for the info.  The car is a non AC car and it did not have the extra heavy duty cooling so I'm assuming no shroud.  I'll check out the pictures for sure.

As for how much coolant,  when I removed the radiator cap I didn't see any coolant so I filled the radiator to the bottom of the neck which now I'm guessing was too much... didn't know that. 

I'd like to keep the car as original as possible as I'm just the third owner and it appears to have mostly all original equipment.  I'll have to drain down the coolant and I'd like to remove the make-shift overflow container.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:17 PM »
Thank you for the info.  The car is a non AC car and it did not have the extra heavy duty cooling so I'm assuming no shroud.  I'll check out the pictures for sure.

As for how much coolant,  when I removed the radiator cap I didn't see any coolant so I filled the radiator to the bottom of the neck which now I'm guessing was too much... didn't know that. 

Running the car and letting the car come up to operating temp will let the radiator purge any extra coolant. Fairly typical

As others have mentioned - no catch-bottle connected to the overflow hose on the drivers side of the radiator and no shroud considering what you have provided

You can glean a fair amount of details (always good to ask and double check since all cars have some changes :) from other small block 68's posted in the picture thread section of the site
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:42:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)