Author Topic: Unusual armrest clip?  (Read 668 times)

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

Unusual armrest clip?
« on: June 13, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
Does anyone know the story with this arm rest clip?  "C8ZZ-6524146-A"  I just came across one, it appears in the MPC as fitting a '67 Mustang even though it is a '68 part number.  I couldn't find any more info about it, i didn't see it in any illustrations or being superseded by another number.  It looks like it would clip into a hole in the door and then provide a hole for the regular sheet metal arm rest screw, but looking at a door shell it doesn't seem to line up with anything.  Anyone seen this before?

thanks!
garrett

Offline jwc66k

Re: Unusual armrest clip?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
What you have is a replacement part for service application at a dealership. Ford did not stock every part, for every car, for every year, at every dealership. Per Ford, it should fit, and work. It is normal.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:45:44 PM »
Maybe for bench seat arm rest?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:02:46 PM »
Jim,
I'm very familiar with how the Ford Service Parts system works... I'm trying to learn about this particular door panel clip because all the other 67-68 Mustangs I've seen (except 67 deluxe interior, of course) use the much more common C7AZ-6224146-A clip (sharing it with Galaxies, Fairlanes, TBirds, Falcons, Econolines, etc.).  Has anyone come across this clip before?

thanks,
garrett

Offline stangerdude

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:53:06 PM »
I have a theory.....or just a stupid idea. Ford master parts book list it for a 67 only but with a 68 part number.....hmmmmm. If the picture is blown up, the lower end looks like it clips into a hole like the fuel line clip attached to the tank opening flange. Could it clip into the rear most armrest clip hole to extend out so you can install a 68 armrest on to a 67 door? Hard to explain but if you think about it, it may possibly work. Back in the day when "correctness" was not an issue and you were replacing a door with a good used one from a 67 onto a 68, you could then put a 68 armrest on a 67 door. Just a thought until we get definitive application. So let the bashing with my theory begin!! As a side note, with all the 67 and 68's I have taken apart over 30 years, I have never seen this clip before......anywhere. If you think about it. And know the difference between 67 and 68 arm rest mounting clip locations, it may be a possibility. Hmmmm......      Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:49 PM »
Garrett,
That Mustang service number, C8ZZ-6524146-A, does not appear in the 75 MPC. The question for you is will it work as a replacement for the C7AZ-622146-A clip (shown as C7AB-62146-C mounted in the door in the 68 Mustang Interior Assembly Manual, AM0022 pg23). It does appear in the 60-68 MPC but with little supporting info other than for 67.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 12:36:34 AM »
The 68 single year MPC only shows CLIP-ARM REST C7AZ-6224146-A, for models Galaxie/Fairlane/Mustang/Falcon

With, Quantity 'AR' (as required) and description 'R.H. & L.H. - Quarter'

Maybe a later year item since the single year MPC came out in Jan '68.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline C9ZZ-16228-B

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
Stangerdude, i think you may be right, your theory does make sense.  Next time i get over to my warehouse i'll check both 67 and 68 doors with armrests and report back here with what i find.