Author Topic: Fake C4OF-AL Hipo 289 Carburetor- Warning  (Read 2765 times)

Offline flyingfred

Fake C4OF-AL Hipo 289 Carburetor- Warning
« on: May 08, 2019, 11:41:53 AM »
I do not know where else to post this but I am trying to put out a warning that this carburetor is NOT what the seller believes for it to be. We have exchanged communications a couple of times and I have demonstrated all of the issues with this carburetor being incorrect as advertised. The seller is firm on the thought that this carburetor is original even with the facts presented that it is NOT as they believe. My only objection to the seller is the, what I consider now, gross misrepresentation of what the carburetor is. If the site monitor sees this post, please move it where it may be more appropriate if necessary. I just do not want to see anyone taken in by this incorrect carburetor that is NOT a Hipo 289 carburetor. It does not even have the correct main body casting. At best it is a high priced clone which appears to be an old "Pony Carburetors" one based on their version of the fast idle cam. I will be happy to elaborate on all of the other issues with this one if anyone wishes me to do so as there are many.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Autolite-289-HIPO-4-Barrel-Carburetor-C4OF-AL-C5OF-L-Tag-Fairlane-Cobra-Mustang/372664150571?hash=item56c483aa2b:g:DsYAAOSwt2FcpOFc

Sellers description:

This is an original Autolite model 4100 4 barrel carburetor for K Code 289 HIPO engines. The driver's front mounting foot it stamped C4OF AL as shown. The tag reads: "FoMoCo C5OF-L  B    4LA". The C4OF AL carb was used on 1964 1/2 Mustangs, Fairlane, and Comets with the 289/271HP HIPO engine and a 4 speed manual transmission. It was also used on early 1965(until 2/15/1965) Mustangs, Fairlanes, annd Comets with the 289/271HP HIPO engine and a 4 speed manual transmission. The early 1965 models has C4OF AL stamped on the base with the C5OF-L tag as you see on this carburetor. This carb was also used on 1965 Shelby Mustangs with the Paxton supercharger option. This is a very rare early 1965 K code carb!

This carb is in very good condition as shown. The carb body is bare metal with no paints or coatings. There is no corrosion, breaks, or repairs. The gold cadmium plated parts all look very nice with a nice original luster. All manual choke components, which are only found on K code carbs, are intact and in good condition. All parts move freely. Both throttle shafts move smoothly and seem tight in the bores, not wollowed out. This carb came off a good running engine in a hot rod Ford truck. The truck was further upgraded and had fuel injection added so the carb was removed. I have no idea how this carb ended up on the truck unless a whole K code engine was installed in the truck or a shop simply had this carb on the shelf and installed it. I removed the top plate and the carb looks very clean inside. I also removed the boosters to reveal the stamped codes of "B A" and "D K" as  shown. This carb deserves a home on a 289 K code engine. Don't miss this awesome carburetor.

This is your chance to own the real deal Autolite 4100 K code specific carburetor you have been dreaming about at a GREAT PRICE. Don't miss out!

Buy-It-Now of $1,650.00 or make offer

-Fred-
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:32:56 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Brian Conway

Re: C4OF-AL Hipo 289 Carburetor
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 04:06:08 PM »
Thanks Fred.  If I were in the market for one these carb's I would sure appreciate the heads up.   Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I've seen it also and knew right off it was a fake with a repro tag.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 05:14:47 PM »
I have had issues before with this same seller misrepresenting items regardless of evidence debunking his claims. Fred it is not just you. I suspect there are many others given the many different car line parts he sells.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »
There are some sellers that appreciate corrections to mistakes or something misleading or unclear.   I for one thank anyone when they correct me.  I find that most are receptive when I provide input.   

I’ve never dealt with this particular seller, but it sounds like he or she is in the minority from my experience
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:38:31 PM »
We have had a lengthy thread over these HiPo clones (at this site) describing the VERY DISTINGUISHABLE differences of a clone  carb vs. real deal. I'd never fall for a clone if ever searching because of that thread. I looked at this carb and CLEARLY Fred is correct.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rocket289k

Re: Fake C4OF-AL Hipo 289 Carburetor- Warning
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open