Author Topic: 68 Front frame rail access holes?  (Read 484 times)

Offline mungus

68 Front frame rail access holes?
« on: May 03, 2019, 07:22:28 PM »
I just noticed that only my LHS forward frame rail has some nice big round holes on the engine bay side, I assume to access the inside where the captive nut plate for the bumper brackets are bolted in. The RHS has none. I've seen several other cars with these holes, filled with factory plastic bungs. But its odd that one side has them and the other not. So which was correct? Or where there replacements available with no holes?

So I'm assuming its been shunted at some time and had a frame rail replaced? Did Ford start making all their rails with or without the holes at some point? When?

I can see the advantage in having them there, but I would like to know whats right.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:44:26 PM by J_Speegle »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 Front frame rail access holes?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:24:57 PM »
Not sure which side your calling LH or RH but here are a couple of pictures (more for the readers of the thread than you) of the frames and holes your referring to

Drivers side

Passenger side

Have not been able to find any other examples (all three plants) without these features including other NJ March 68 built examples. Would suggest that you look for evidence of collision or rust repair in the area

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)