Author Topic: Air Conditioning Compressor Clutch  (Read 904 times)

Offline MomsMustang66

Air Conditioning Compressor Clutch
« on: March 27, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
I have a 1966 mustang that came with factory air conditioning. Recently the air conditioning compressor clutch started making a lot of noise. The clutch currently on the car uses the separate brush assembly mounted on the compressor with 2 bolts. All the replacement ones I have found have a bracket that mounts to the compressor with 4 bolts. Which one would be correct? I cannot find a replacement one like the one that was on the car.

Offline ChrisV289

Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline MomsMustang66

Re: Air Conditioning Compressor Clutch
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
Guess I did not make it clear. It is the "original" style clutch I cannot seem to find assuming the one on the car was the original style. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures from unrestored cars that I hope help you identify the piece your looking for

Mid year 66 San Jose

Late year 66 San Jose

Have not had a need to purchase one in the past. I guess I would start with the usual  places. Ebay, parts dealers like Larson and wanted ads on sites like this one and as many others as you choose as you spread a wide net
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:24:56 PM »
I have a 1966 mustang that came with factory air conditioning. Recently the air conditioning compressor clutch started making a lot of noise. The clutch currently on the car uses the separate brush assembly mounted on the compressor with 2 bolts. All the replacement ones I have found have a bracket that mounts to the compressor with 4 bolts. Which one would be correct? I cannot find a replacement one like the one that was on the car.
I think you will find that both styles were used in 66 . The clutch is different and specific whether it goes with the brush style or the electromagnetic donut (4 bolts). I would be glad to check to see if I had one (brush type I assume) however I or others trying to help would need confirmation on the width of the solid steel hub and the pulley portion diameter of what currently works on your car assuming it is correct. If correct belts fit and line up it is a safe bet.  This same information should prove important going forward in your search.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline MomsMustang66

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 12:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Since either would be correct I think I will go with the electromagnetic donut style since it is readily available.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
Which compressor does your car currently have on it? 

And was your car a factory or dealer installed AC car?

For 66 San Jose have only seen the ones like I showed pictures of on factory installations but your car and choice :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline MomsMustang66

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
The car has the original York/Tecumseh type of compressor. As best as I can determine it has factory installed a/c. The car was built in San Jose.