Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Need Help Re Inner Trunk paint/primer process  (Read 841 times)

Offline bullitt68

I have searched the forum for some threads to help me on my quest and while I have found some useful information I still have a couple of questions.

Should the inside of the trunk have red oxide primer applied first?

What should the inside finish of the trunk be. Exterior body color or a different black?

I have been trying to figure it out with no luck. As far as I know my trunk is original and I can't find any traces of red oxide primer in certain areas, but I can in other areas. Does this mean that my trunk has had some previous work done on it that would explain the lack of red oxide primer in those areas. I have looked at photos of original trunks on this site and I have not been able to tell conclusively what the process should be for that area. The inside of the passenger compartment has red oxide everywhere as well as the trunk in some areas, so I assumed that the entire car, top to bottom inside and out must have received the red oxide primer. Am I missing something or just confused on the factory paint/promer procedure. I have attached a couple of photos showing a clear lack of red oxide primer in one specific area (Top Photos) as well as the areas with red oxide primer.

Also I am not sure if the black paint, exterior color is actually the original exterior paint overspray of if the factory used another paint product/application inside the trunk. Car is a factory black car.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:25:43 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Need Help Re Inner Trunk paint/primer process
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 01:21:26 AM »
Lets see if we can help

Should the inside of the trunk have red oxide primer applied first?

Only those surfaces the painter choose to aim the spray gun towards. Typically what could be viewed by standing behind the car into the trunk, wrapping around the back side of the taillight panel forward and up towards the front for a single pass. To the quarter panels vertical surfaces and downward. Back to the panels between the taillight panel and the quarters.

Over this there would be some overspray from the light gray primer application from the exterior application through openings . So when you look in the trunk you would have exterior color possibly/likely some areas of body color to red oxide, body color to bare steel  or just bare steel where little or no primer, sealer or exterior color reached or were aimed.

What should the inside finish of the trunk be. Exterior body color or a different black?

Originally it would be same paint applied at the same station as the exterior color

Lets see if we can help

I have been trying to figure it out with no luck. As far as I know my trunk is original and I can't find any traces of red oxide primer in certain areas, but I can in other areas. Does this mean that my trunk has had some previous work done on it that would explain the lack of red oxide primer in those areas. I have looked at photos of original trunks on this site and I have not been able to tell conclusively what the process should be for that area. The inside of the passenger compartment has red oxide everywhere as well as the trunk in some areas, so I assumed that the entire car, top to bottom inside and out must have received the red oxide primer. Am I missing something or just confused on the factory paint/promer procedure. I have attached a couple of photos showing a clear lack of red oxide primer in one specific area (Top Photos) as well as the areas with red oxide primer. 

If you look (in the interior) behind braces, from below panels and braces as well as corners or back side of dash or upward to bottom of the cowl you should find many places primer and paint overspray never reached.

Since the interior of the trunk was painted before anything other than the rear bumper brackets were attached as well as the trunk and hinges nothing else was installed so the fact that your pictures show red oxide where the taillights were installed leaving only red oxide suggest that some work (paint or more has been done in the area or to that panels. Might want to inspect details and attachments

Think I posted at least one of these pictures last tim ewe discussed detail

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 03:02:21 AM »
Thanks Jeff. I am going to be at that point soon and I don't want to mess it up.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:10:39 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »
Lets see if we can help

Only those surfaces the painter choose to aim the spray gun towards. Typically what could be viewed by standing behind the car into the trunk, wrapping around the back side of the taillight panel forward and up towards the front for a single pass. To the quarter panels vertical surfaces and downward. Back to the panels between the taillight panel and the quarters.

Over this there would be some overspray from the light gray primer application from the exterior application through openings . So when you look in the trunk you would have exterior color possibly/likely some areas of body color to red oxide, body color to bare steel  or just bare steel where little or no primer, sealer or exterior color reached or were aimed.

Originally it would be same paint applied at the same station as the exterior color

Lets see if we can help

If you look (in the interior) behind braces, from below panels and braces as well as corners or back side of dash or upward to bottom of the cowl you should find many places primer and paint overspray never reached.

Since the interior of the trunk was painted before anything other than the rear bumper brackets were attached as well as the trunk and hinges nothing else was installed so the fact that your pictures show red oxide where the taillights were installed leaving only red oxide suggest that some work (paint or more has been done in the area or to that panels. Might want to inspect details and attachments

Think I posted at least one of these pictures last tim ewe discussed detail

Those are great photos showing what sets to be exterior color all along the inside of the tail pan, where as mine appears to have primer under the black exterior color. Also you will notice in my top photos the bare metal that does not appear to have any red oxide at all. Also odd that that paint was just missing completely the I got the car. It is almost as if either the paint did not stick or something caused all of the paint to lift off. At any rate it sound like my paint guy needs to spray the red oxide as you described and the body color as well. Just curious how far into the trunk the body color goes as the whole floor of my trunk is black, but not sure if it was painted after the fact. Was the trunk lid painted on or off the car? Is it safe to assume that most of the floor of the trunk would have recieved black or overspray, not my car is a back car.

Thanks
Mike

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »
trunklid was installed prior to any primer/paint. nothing was installed in the trunk prior to paint. top of tank should not be painted.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 11:58:34 PM »
Those are great photos showing what sets to be exterior color all along the inside of the tail pan, where as mine appears to have primer under the black exterior color. Also you will notice in my top photos the bare metal that does not appear to have any red oxide at all. Also odd that that paint was just missing completely the I got the car. It is almost as if either the paint did not stick or something caused all of the paint to lift off.

Or it was just not sprayed in that direction or area

At any rate it sound like my paint guy needs to spray the red oxide as you described and the body color as well. Just curious how far into the trunk the body color goes as the whole floor of my trunk is black, but not sure if it was painted after the fact. Was the trunk lid painted on or off the car? Is it safe to assume that most of the floor of the trunk would have recieved black or overspray, not my car is a back car.

Trunk floor, most of the taillight panel (can be weak out at the very ends), rear quarter panel surfaces that were vertical,  the end of the wheel wells that are visible from standing behind the trunk and panels that are vertical and are between the trunk and the interior normally got a nice coat.  Remember there would be a bare metal shadow around each (one each side) where the retainers were that held the unibody to the skid or dolly it traveled on when being painted

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 12:28:17 AM »
Great photos Jeff thanks. That really helps
Mike