Author Topic: 67 FRONT Shock Details: Paint Details and Paint Daubs  (Read 902 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
67 FRONT Shock Details: Paint Details and Paint Daubs
« on: March 13, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Were original shocks painted with the upper bushings in place and Semi-Gloss black shot all over the upper shaft & bushing?

I have Ford service replacements that do not have any paint on that shaft or bushing.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:50:42 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Upper Shock Shaft & Bushing, Paint or no paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 05:56:26 PM »
Were original shocks painted with the upper bushings in place and Semi-Gloss black shot all over the upper shaft & bushing?

I have Ford service replacements that do not have any paint on that shaft or bushing.
From the evidence that I have found I have a high confidence level that the assemblyline front shocks were typically painted with the upper bushing installed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
From the evidence that I have found I have a high confidence level that the assemblyline front shocks were typically painted with the upper bushing installed.

Well, they were initially masked off and drying for the last hour so they just got top-coated and painted on this last coat. I'll hold you to it if I get 'dinged' Bob ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

Re: 67 FRONT Shock Details: Paint Details and Paint Daubs
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 06:49:17 AM »
OK, I changed the title of the thread since my focus has moved to other details

I cannot seem to locate images of original 67 GT front shocks including paint daubs.

I attached some details I have found of another AUTOLITE Service Part Shock Absorber and curious now about details that would pertain to 67 Model Year front shocks (see attached photos).

It looks as though these (D0ZZ-A) that are available for images (and currently for sale on ePay) DO NOT have paint on the upper shafts and bushings. This is also what I had found on the Service Replacements that I painted yesterday. This isn't to debunk what was done on Assemblyline shocks but just data to suggest that Service Replacements in later years may typically NOT be painted.

Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:59:54 AM »
OK, today's question, since I already painted the upper shaft and bushing and moving on to the paint daubs or paint spray marking.

I have found this image shared in another thread which is a thread discussing "general applications", so not necessarily for 67 example though it gives me a good general idea of what it should look like:

My example, being a GT, is said to have a BROWN paint marking or paint daub. I have a pair of original GT rear shocks that I matched the color of the daub on those and today, I will be replacing the paint daubs on all 4 shocks but my question within the context of FRONT shocks is:

Is the Photobucket image above typically what a 67 model year also? ...and would it make much difference if the shocks were "Made In Canada" or if they were "Made In U.S.A." examples?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:14:36 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:15:08 AM »
...I cannot seem to locate images of original 67 GT front shocks including paint daubs.

I attached some details I have found of another AUTOLITE Service Part Shock Absorber and curious now about details that would pertain to 67 Model Year front shocks (see attached photos).

It looks as though these (D0ZZ-A) that are available for images (and currently for sale on ePay) DO NOT have paint on the upper shafts and bushings. This is also what I had found on the Service Replacements that I painted yesterday. This isn't to debunk what was done on Assemblyline shocks but just data to suggest that Service Replacements in later years may typically NOT be painted.

In my collection of images, I did find a few images of what was stated by the seller as pictures of a 67 GT Assemblyline front shock but those (Made In U.S.A. Examples) are not displaying the paint daubs. (NOTE:According to Chassis Assembly manual, lower shock mounting hardware is INCORRECT for a 67 Mustang application)

These images look to support Mr. Gaines' statement of the upper shafts and bushings being painted. ;)

This information was the best I have come up with in almost 5-years of searching about the FRONT shocks. Anything else from other members would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 01:59:32 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 12:58:37 AM »

++1  on original assembly line shocks for front shocks only ;)

My example, being a GT, is said to have a BROWN paint marking or paint daub. I have a pair of original GT rear shocks that I matched the color of the daub on those and today, I will be replacing the paint daubs on all 4 shocks but my question within the context of FRONT shocks is:

Is the Photobucket image above typically what a 67 model year also? ...and would it make much difference if the shocks were "Made In Canada" or if they were "Made In U.S.A." examples?

Have not seen any originals that I believed looked sprayed on instead easy to typically see brush marks and edges after all these years.

Yes brown matches what I've seen and buildsheets show for a non-export GT application that year

The pictures to the left are like what I've seen on fronts from all three plants in 67 production. Believe the variation as to size, slight differences in location and other little things was differences between workers at both shock plants.  Your car would typically have come with the MADE IN USA stamped shocks. based on where it was built
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 01:03:20 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »
++1  on original assembly line shocks for front shocks only ;)

Have not seen any originals that I believed looked sprayed on instead easy to typically see brush marks and edges after all these years.

Yes brown matches what I've seen and buildsheets show for a non-export GT application that year

The pictures to the left are like what I've seen on fronts from all three plants in 67 production. Believe the variation as to size, slight differences in location and other little things was differences between workers at both shock plants.  Your car would typically have come with the MADE IN USA stamped shocks. based on where it was built

Thanks for confirmation on overspray and paint daubs vs. spray pattern markings.

I kinda wish we had more original examples to view about the Canadian vs. USA versions of these shocks since there seems to be evidence circulated that indicate (if for no other understanding) different suppliers used at varying time of build (or perhaps different assembly options combined with time-frame variances) In my head, I can find no peace with the common understanding that all San Jose are TYPICALLY assembled with the USA shocks. I have no 'agenda" here really but hope we one day get a fuller understanding of these anomalies.

Richard Urch

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 02:27:01 PM »
I kinda wish we had more original examples to view about the Canadian vs. USA versions of these shocks since there seems to be evidence circulated that indicate (if for no other understanding) different suppliers used at varying time of build (or perhaps different assembly options combined with time-frame variances) ..........

Don't we wish we always had way more original examples :)   Especially on those wear items that were so often changed over the years with use

Of course details like this appear over the years as we study and focus on different details and as others come up with questions and findings. This one became apparent not by the outward stamping but by the type of threads used for the rear shocks. "Correct ones" didn't fit, were not right for original shocks on original shocks found on a unrestored car and a study found more as people started looking then they also took note that they were marked differently.

So goes the process that took place with many or most of the details we know. Out of need a discovery is made that starts further study and more discovery.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)