Author Topic: Change Over - Folddown Bumper and Support  (Read 880 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Change Over - Folddown Bumper and Support
« on: February 27, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
When was the change over in San Jose from the early triangle shaped support to the later recessed style support?  I assume the stop bumpers were changed around the same time or would they have been mixed as well?  My June built SJ fb has the triangle support with the early bumpers but I can't say that is correct or original...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Change Over - Folddown Bumper and Support
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 10:44:58 PM »
First to illustrate the two different versions of both the bracket or receiver attached to the rear most fold down panel and the bumper on the L shaped fold down section

Early version of the rear stop/bracket

Later - pocket style version

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is what I found on an earlier fastback (Oct 64 San Jose) Adjustable rubber bumper

Later pocket style rear fold down bumper - Not rotated correctly but does give us a better look at its unusual shape

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The following is what I found going through my pictures and don't relate to the pictures above.

With that foundation it was difficult for me to find many pictures as it seems that allot of people take pictures with the fold downs in the up or don't include any pictures of the rear interior

Highest VIN with the earlier version of the bracket  I have pictures of is  5R09C185xx (Projected Build Date Feb 65)

Can't tell for sure with this angle but here is a picture of the bumper area from 5R09K2141xx (PBD end of April 65).  Can't tell for sure but may be the earlier version. You make the call but to me it appears to be the circular version. A little difficult to make out - black bumper against a black seat.
Unfortunately can't use Shelby pictures to help with this detail  :(

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:56:34 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 12:50:03 AM »
My San Jose scheduled build of May 11, 65, GT Fastback has the early style bumpers, two pictures.
5R09A2198xx  63A M 26 11S 72 1 6
In the 65 rear seat fold down kit that I ordered years back, the front chrome piece that uses the two round bumpers is not included, so the existing original must be rechromed. The piece included in the kit was the 66 style with a hole for the bumpers on a threaded stud. The 65-66 kit "may" have been corrected. I paid $75 for the rechrome. To rechrome the full 13 pieces would have been around $700. A kit is around $300. Do the math. 
I had to include an exterior shot of my 65 GT Fastback. Taken from the Alviso Marina, those are the fog covered Santa Cruz Mountains above Palo Alto and San Mateo in the background. Hanger three at Moffett Field on the extreme left.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline steve_f

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
My May 15, 1965 SJ GT fastback has the early style as well.
5R09A2222xx   63A X 26 15S 75 1 5
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline steve_f

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »
Jeff,
Your picture of the April fastback looks like the later version. The adjustment is on the bumper itself. The early versions had adjustment slots in the triangles on the floor. Did it have the deluxe interior by chance? Just a thought.
Steve
Steve
1965 (15S) San Jose Mustang GT Fastback (sold)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:48:29 PM »
Jeff,
Your picture of the April fastback looks like the later version. The adjustment is on the bumper itself. The early versions had adjustment slots in the triangles on the floor. Did it have the deluxe interior by chance? Just a thought.
Steve

The pictures were to illustrate both styles not to match or be examples from the VIN findings/reporting. Can understand the confusion since I didn't post a picture I had planned to under the April built car. Sorry - correcting

Will alter the wording above to try and make that clearer
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 05:53:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »
Thanks everyone. Based on the dates of the others components, I’m guessing mine are correct unless proven otherwise.
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe