Author Topic: Identifying original dash pads  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Identifying original dash pads
« on: March 28, 2013, 04:14:40 AM »

The dash pads I have seen and collected from original 1969 and 1970 Mustangs it appears there was two dash pad manufacturers that Ford used.  Its easy to see the stampings on the underside of the dash pad right above the clock panel or passenger side of the dash pad when the dash pad is installed in the car.  Both manufactures made AC and non-AC dash pads.  Neither facilities/companies exist today anymore.  All original dash pads will have these stampings.  If anyone has information on a third vendor or variation let us know.

Utica:
Utica (Ford owned) production facility in Shelby Michigan.  Various trim pieces were made at this facility including dash pads starting in or about 1962.  Identified by the UT stamp in the mold.

Davidson Rubber Company:
Located in Farmington New Hampshire and opened in 1966 was one of the largest producers of padded dashes and supplier to various auto manufacturers.  Identified by the KZ7 stamp in the mold.

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Identifying original dash pads
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
Hi Marcus,
 I think its important to note that Davidson (not sure about Utica) also did the service dashes so those markings alone wont identify assembly line correct. One of the dead giveaways is the openings around defroster duct openings. If the vinyl wraps around it is assembly line. If it appears to be cut like by a razor knife that is replacement.
It may be just coincidence but the overwhelming majority of AC/power ventilation pads I've seen carry the Davidson brand.
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:24 AM »
Tim,  Yes...I've seen discussions on the vent cut outs being different, but haven't confirmed that myself.  That would be another good indicator.  What I wanted to do was point out a correct original style vs some of the things I see being sold on Ebay lately which are totally wrong.  It should at least have these markings on there for a correct "style" replacement.  If not, its something totally different.       

Marcus Anghel

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:29:17 PM »
     This is a ' rubbing ' from the dash pad on my 69, Metuchen, non AC car.  Any of you guys recognize these stamps ?  Thanks,  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 02:52:22 AM »
From another original dash...this one actually as an inspector stamp in ink instead of the paper tags normally seen. 

Marcus Anghel

Offline Sean C. Gearty

• 1969 San Jose GT
Identifying original dash pads
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:56 AM »
I have a 1969 / 1970 Mustang Dash Pad in an Ford Service Box with dated shipping labels from
Ford. I need some help confirming this is an original Ford Service replacement Dash Pad

There is a 11 23 D2 stamping on the sheet metal frame on the inside of the Dash.
      -I am assuming this is the date and Dearborn shift
      -picture attached

On the passenger side of the vinyl pad it is heat stamped C593F or G593F.
     -this is in the same area that the assembly line dash pads (UT) and (K27) are stamped
     -picture attached

« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 11:34:26 AM by Sean C. Gearty »

Online jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »
I find it difficult to believe that an aftermarket supplier would date code stamp a part. It would be an extra step that costs money. That being said, the format appears to be Ford so I would assume it's NOS. The other letters are a "puzzlement".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 05:55:07 PM »
I have a 1969 / 1970 Mustang Dash Pad in an Ford Service Box with dated shipping labels from
Ford. I need some help confirming this is an original Ford Service replacement Dash Pad

No telling from those markings/stamps when it was made but believe it is either and original or a service replacement part
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)