Author Topic: Front Shocks Lower Mounting Hardware  (Read 401 times)

Offline dkknab

Front Shocks Lower Mounting Hardware
« on: September 11, 2022, 10:34:07 PM »
From the assembly manual  the lower shock mounting hardware washer is a 382661-S2 finish or P&O

The nut is 34442- S7 or Cadmium plate finish.

Does anyone have a good picture of these 2 components? I got an AMK hardware set from NPD. Both the washer and nut appear to be P&O which doesn't seem correct. The S7... should it be silver cadmium or a gold color?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Front Shocks Lower Mounting Hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 06:32:23 PM »
Not sure if the mounting hardware for the car assembly line was supplier by the provider of the shock as it was in the service shocks. If it was then there is the chance that the finish might be different between the car assembly plants since not all of them got the majority of their shocks from the same supplying plant.  We see the MADE IN CANADA shocks the majority on NJ and Dearborn car plants and MADE IN USA on San Jose cars typically. This may not be a factor just wanted to mention the possibility. Also may have changed during the production year

With all that out of the way here is at least one example that was easy to find from on of the San Jose examples that is in the Unrestored Picture section of the site

Did look further but not a location people often take pictures of and not an easy area to get a clear picture of

Original take off's in the upper left (MADE IN CANADA with 67 date codes)  but the finish is long gone on the hardware. And a picture at a bad angle for your needs of a MADE In CANADA on a Dearborn car

Due have NOS service packages (pictures) of the front shock hardware. There is the earlier style with the toothed washer and the later with the deformed nut style locking nuts. Didn't post since they are service pieces.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 07:21:05 PM »
The hardware that I bought from NPD is an AMK kit and it looks more like the middle picture. But I don't have the star washer at all. Is that the piece I am missing? i do  not see any mention of a star washer in the assembly manual at all though.  All the parts look like P&O

But as mentioned the S2 for the washer is different than the S7 cadmium finish which I am wondering is the silver looking bit. I've attached what I have that is probably a zinc coating that is more like the silver chromate I'm guessing.

Question is what would suffice?

PS Don't look at my perch. It is clearly the wrong finish.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 07:25:33 PM by dkknab »
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 07:46:33 PM »
The hardware that I bought from NPD is an AMK kit and it looks more like the middle picture. But I don't have the star washer at all. Is that the piece I am missing? i do  not see any mention of a star washer in the assembly manual at all though.  All the parts look like P&O

The star washer in this case is made "into" /attached to the nut so it would not be called out since it is not a separate piece

IMHO your nuts are not correct for you application

Would not use the Assembly manual page we have access to as the last word as to how the/your car was originally assembled. We know that many or most pages were edited, changed or corrected during the design and production year. Challenge is find nice clear original examples since shocks were so often replaced early in life
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)