Author Topic: 70 Dearborn quarter window blackout  (Read 1165 times)

Offline RocketScientist

70 Dearborn quarter window blackout
« on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:19 AM »
I have searched and found a few posts on the subject and would like to re-confirm what I found. I think the quarter window blackout extends all the way around the window up to an area near to where the upper window hinge is located. It covers the area from the weather-strip seal to the pinch weld so all the area seen from inside the car is black and the areas seen on the outside is body color.

I have  a White Nov 69 Dearborn B302 and I have some poor quality pics that suggest this but I want to be sure.

Brad

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Re: 70 Dearborn quarter window blackout
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:17:59 AM »
I have seen it many times but not always.  It comes from the top down to the bottom of the curve, usually.  Here is a picture, not a great one sorry!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »
I have asked about blackout paint in the past and no one mentioned blackout paint in this location. So to be clear I will need to black out the area indicated in your posts?
I have attached two pictures one of my original disassembly showing what I believe to be some black out paint in the area defined (ignore the green paint the car was originally calypso coral) and one of my present restoration and assembly which has no blackout but assume now it needs some. Any comments regarding the blackout paint in this area would be appreciated as I would like to ensure I get this right as I am about to install the head liner and quarter windows etc.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 08:42:57 PM »
Hi Armond, that is a very useful picture and matches what I can make out on mine.

I understand that the blackout was only done on light colored cars, so you don't see the body color in gaps of the interior panels and that is why not every car got it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:24:47 PM »
Hi Armond, that is a very useful picture and matches what I can make out on mine.

I understand that the blackout was only done on light colored cars, so you don't see the body color in gaps of the interior panels and that is why not every car got it.

Not certain it was only was done on light color car but it sure stands out on those. Sort of like the pinch weld black outs we find those on even very dark colored cars.  Sure as we find more examples we can answer some of these questions with more confidence
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 01:20:13 AM »
Hi RocketScientist, sorry regarding my last post I wasn't trying to grab the topic, I am glad you asked the question as I was not aware there was blackout paint in this area. Upon review of my disassembly pics I now see there is some blackout paint in the location you have mentioned and inquired about but also on the outside location. I have pillowed in the area on my original disassembly pic of my Dearborn 1970 Mach and it looks like the area between the quarter window outer chrome trim and the weather strip channel foam sealer is also blacked out, you can actually see the black out paint and calypso coral half in half on the screw in the middle of the pillowed area. So it looks like the inner area and outer area where blacked out on my car originally.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:23:59 AM by 1970 Snake »

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »
Hey Snake, think nothing of it as it helps both of us out and that's what its all about. I enjoy your pics and posts and it helps me out immensely. I committed the greatest sin and bought a disassembled and incomplete project car (which I knew at the time was the wrong thing to do) and yours (and everyone else's) disassembly pics help a lot.

Brad

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 12:04:22 PM »
Yes, your right, this forum is and should be to help all of us understand what really happened at the assembly plants, so we may all benefit and restore our cars to the most concours correct condition we desire. My problem is that I disassembled the car in 2007 and then let it sit for 8 years in pieces, additionally at that time I was not going to go down the concours path, also I did not have the knowledge of what to look for and document for that type of restoration. The upside is I have owned the car for over 30 years and started collecting may NOS parts then. Now I am going down that concours path and I wish I had documented more and taken more detailed pictures to help myself and others. Some days its fun some its frustrating, at best your doing most things twice mainly because of the learning process but in the end its rewarding to see what you have accomplished and that you have been able to share your findings and results with others.

Regarding the black out at the quarter windows, my original condition picture does show blackout outside and inside in the window area and believe I will now black out the entire area from under the drip rail corner clip to the bottom inner sheet metal lip at the bend in the quarter window. So unless I get a strong I should not from the more knowledgeable people on this forum, this is what I see in the picture and will black out the entire quarter window visible painted metal, but ahead/away of that it will be body color inside and outside of the car along the weather channel.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:16:00 PM by 1970 Snake »