Author Topic: Is there a way to distinguish which plant a late 65 was produced other than VIN  (Read 803 times)

Offline TJinSA

What, if any subtleties should I look for to distinguish a body from one plant over another?  The car has all the hallmarks of being a GT so it would be a later production 65.

Offline sgl66

Are all 3 VINs missing? If so, what makes you believe it’s a GT when the front clip is in question? Are all the factory dual exhaust chassis pieces in place? How do the reenforcement plates under the seat look? Is there factory seam sealer painted over?

As far as the factory, what color are the floors under the car? NJ and San Jose are orange epoxy and Dearborn black
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline TJinSA

..., what color are the floors under the car? NJ and San Jose are orange epoxy and Dearborn black

That's a start, thank you.

Offline sgl66

If the undercarriage is orange, you can look for a build sheet taped to wiring harness behind the speedo or also under the seats. That would only be on NJ cars and also give you everything else you need.

Note that an absence wouldn’t guarantee that it’s a SJ car as many NJ cars are missing them today for various reasons

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
As far as the factory, what color are the floors under the car? NJ and San Jose are orange epoxy and Dearborn black

Not correct depends on production period and plant.

And would not consider the periods when the red oxide versions of the epoxy sealer to ever be "orange" :)

Buildsheets have been found in cars from all three plants but much more common in NJ assembled examples.

Differences in body panels also wil help with placing when the car may have been built and even plant but these are not widely shared especially in a public forum.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:17:09 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

Not correct depends on production period and plant.

And would not consider the periods when the red oxide versions of the epoxy sealer to ever be "orange" :)

Buildsheets have been found in cars from all three plants but much more common in NJ assembled examples.

Differences in body panels also wil help with placing when the car may have been built and even plant but these are not widely shared especially in a public forum.

1. Were NJ and SJ cars something other than red oxide(ish) or did Dearborn also do red oxide?

2. I don’t know what I was thinking when I typed “orange” where is the hammer to head emoji?

3. You’ve seen many more cars/build sheets than I have. I know they showed up in later years but didn’t know were found in 65/66 in SJ and Dearborn cars?

4. Now I’m curious, guessing it has more to do with authenticating a SJ car (Shelby) ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:25:06 PM by sglbbs »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1. Were NJ and SJ cars something other than red oxide(ish) or did Dearborn also do red oxide?

Haven't documented anything other than red oxide on 65 NJ cars, we have discussed other colors used in 65 at San Jose and I've not yet found a red oxide (firewall rearward) on a 65 Dearborn yet but a fair number of greens and blues as well as a dark color.

4. Now I’m curious, guessing it has more to do with authenticating a SJ car (Shelby) ?

Well sort of but in order to do that you would need to know what was done at NJ and Dearborn for each production period to rule out rebodies ;)  Evaluating this sort of things has as much IMHO to so with what should not be found as what should be.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)