Author Topic: 1966 Deluxe Steering Wheel Re-assembly  (Read 531 times)

Offline StretchMonster

1966 Deluxe Steering Wheel Re-assembly
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:40:45 PM »
Hi,

I am in the process of reassembling a deluxe steering wheel from a 1966 Mustang, following the picture I have attached.  While it has gone back together, it doesn't feel right.  The horn ring is resting against the inside part of the wheel in all three slots.  When I push on the horn ring in any of the three spots there is very little play.  It feels very tight.  I'm not sure if this is normal and to be expected, or if indeed something is wrong.  I put the three screws with springs in first, and then the other three.  The springs with screws are tighten to the point of being snug, but not overly tight.

Since this is the first time I have assembled a wheel like this, I thought I should ask for help at this point.  Should the ring be this tight?  I tried have the spring screws just in finger tight, but it didn't seem to make any difference.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1966 Deluxe Steering Wheel Re-assembly
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »
I reassembled mine off the car. It was a combination of "right side up" and "up side down" positions to get the screws properly adjusted, and it took time to do it. That was well over ten years ago and what ever i did still works fine.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »
Original steering wheel or a repro?  The reason I ask, I had a repro wheel that was not assembled quite right and the horn ring buttons would never align with the slots in the wheel spokes.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline StretchMonster

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »
Hi,

That's a good question, and I should have provided that information.  The wheel is original, the horn ring is a NOS replacement, the horn contact rings are also original, along with the attaching parts.  The only replacement piece is the collar.  I hope that helps.

Thank you,

Paul