Author Topic: Hood Bumpers  (Read 940 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Hood Bumpers
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:23:22 PM »
What years are correct to use NOS hood bumpers with this number C5ZZ-16763-B.  They have the hex screw in the center showing.  I get conflicting information between, ebay, google, and all the parts company catalogs. 

Thanks
Dan 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:50:50 PM »
Believe this is the version your referring to. Was used in 65 but off the top of my head I can't tell you when they stopped using them and switched to the flat rubber (no screw head) version. Change over likely differed depending on assembly plant

Example is from  a Aug 64 example

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:53:26 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:10:20 PM »
J,

That is them.  So why do some places say 65-73 or 64.5 to 70?  I take it they are not even close to being correct for a 70? 

Thanks,
Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:29:51 PM »
That is them.  So why do some places say 65-73 or 64.5 to 70?  I take it they are not even close to being correct for a 70? 

Don't know other than people because more people will purchase them if they are labeled that way,  don't want to carry or stock two versions or the other possible excuse is "they serve the same purpose though they are not exactly concours"  ::)

Just another example of why you can't believe everything you read.
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 12:31:45 AM »
What years are correct to use NOS hood bumpers with this number C5ZZ-16763-B.  They have the hex screw in the center showing.  I get conflicting information between, ebay, google, and all the parts company catalogs. 
Dan,
You must understand that the part number you are referring to is a service part number and in many cases, is what Ford specifies that will work, not what was originally used on the assembly line. As Jeff's picture shows, a Phillips drive was an early type bumper replaced by a smooth top. It's a design change which does not effect the function of a bumper, so residual inventory would be used until gone, often into the next model year. So ask yourself, why would Ford, in this case, carry in inventory two different bumpers when one will work? Ford was not building concourse grade cars, and certainly not servicing a concourse grade car.
The other aspect of this quandary is to view claims on e-bay with "a grain of salt". Google will tell you where a part number is referenced, but nothing more. The Mustang parts sellers only sell what their distributors carry, the distributors only carry what is manufactured and the manufacturer makes only what sells. It's not always right and it's not a perfect system.
Keep asking questions. It's the best advice offered.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:03:21 AM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15239.msg95060#msg95060

Thanks Charles for reminding us of the earlier thread

Now will have to link that thread to the 65 Running Changes thread ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:38:23 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I bought four NOS sets with the rookie assumption they were good for 1970.  Slowly learning my lessons one or more dollars at a time.

Dan in Kansas 

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 09:44:34 PM »
Dec 66 SJ - round top, evidence of zinc dichromate on the threaded component.  Original nut rusty - disregard the zinc plated ones in the picture, those are not original. But they did come on a set from an unknown vehicle, something collected over the years.

Also including pic from the 68 MPC, note the date of May 1968 for change from C5ZZ-16763-A to C5ZZ-16763-B. 

Nut 33922-S is a 5/16-18 jam nut.  The standard parts catalog only lists the -S8 zinc plated version, whereas the MPC identifies -S - bare steel.  Of course that does not necessarily represent what was installed at the assembly line.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:47:20 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660