Author Topic: 1965 Missing VIN?  (Read 998 times)

Offline Shelby5s243

1965 Missing VIN?
« on: January 07, 2019, 04:08:52 PM »
In 1965 is it possible that one or more of the VIN's might have been left off a Mustang during factory assembly? Thanks

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1965 Missing VIN?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »
It's way more likely that the car in question was involved in a collision that required the front fender aprons to be replaced.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »
+1

Some VIN's have been located under the fender mounting flange, out of sight with the fender on. Another "possibility" but if buying a car like this, it would be a good idea to see a VIN or consider walking away.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
Not likely would such a detail be missed by so many people, workers and inspectors. If the car was a very unusual car I have seen at least one car (not a 65) that was not stamped in the normal fashion but didn't go out the door without multiple VIN stampings on the uni-body as required.

Much more likely there is damage and repairs int he cars past. Inspect the panel dating patterns, panel shape and features and the panel attachment methods. This will likley provide a clue

Going to be hard to prove and difficult/to impossible to get through DMV or other agencies with such a car. It would likely be impounded and you would have to prove that the body/car you brought in was the same you have paperwork for. Assuming that you owned or purchased the car.  Been down this road a number of times ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Shelby5s243

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 09:35:33 PM »
The car is a validated 65 Shelby. Of that there is no question. The puzzle is that I know the history since 1973 and in discussion with the previous owner back to 1973, there never was any damage repaired from 1973 to present. I have owned it since 1984. There is no evidence of repair that we have uncovered. All the factory spot welds are in place including the radiator support on both sides. The right side has the proper Ford and Shelby Vin's. The sheet metal panels are properly stamped. I am about to dig a bit deeper. Not because I am concerned about its authenticity but because I am curious. If it had been repaired using a donor car, there would be evidence of the removal of the donor car serial numbers. It seems to me that back before 1973, the cars were of so little value that if there were some repairs, there would most likely not be any attempt to cover it up. The repair should be pretty obvious. Not so, as yet. Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:51 PM »
Don't believe I know the car so the following statements are generic when faced with such an issue and should not be taken as any direct statement about your specific car. 

- There is always the possibility of a rebody - pretty popular especially in the earlier years. Know of cars where this was done in 66 -68 time periods. Agree in general that repair methods are often not a crude as they might have been when comparing today and back in the 60's if the worker is taking care and making the effort. At the same time there are little "crumbs" left somewhere.

- If done early in life NOS panels would have also been available for repair and or replacement if needed and given the original cost of these cars it would have been worth spending the dollars on these cars if what ever happen took place in the first few years after 1965. Know of one owner where the car was totaled and the insurance gave the owner enough (or at least close to the sale price) of a first year Z28 as a replacement.

- Since it apparent now that we're discussing a 65 San Jose car that plant had a practice when a VIN stamping needed to be corrected or fixed once the issue was caught at the plant.

- How do the panel dates line up with what would be expected for a car with that Ford VIN?

If you feel uncomfortable discussing this in an open forum feel free to PM and we can discuss this further off line.

PS - Forgot to welcome you in your first post. Hope you find the site useful and find it helpful in your concours related efforts going forward.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:22:38 AM »
In addition to what Jeff said, compare the texture and pattern of the sound deadener sprayed on the panels. New replacement panels would not likely have factory pattern replicated. A front clip would but then you’re looking at spot welds. I’ve also seen patches welded in up top which are only visible with all the paint removed.
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline Shelby5s243

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:12 AM »
Thanks, everyone for your input. Yes, I agree that it seems it must have been repaired, somehow. Probably not re-bodied completely because there is too much evidence of a fire in the trunk dating back to when the car was new and in magazines. I am taking it in to a professional body man with several years experience repairing and restoring Mustangs and Shelby's including a very famous Pebble Beach level Shelby. He is going to repair the rear quarter panels and wheel houses that were hogged out for drag racing in the late 60's and repaired with 18 wheeler mud flaps! I am more curious than concerned. If repairs were done, it seems to me it may have been done at the factory or very soon after its delivery by factory level people and parts. Date codes are all in order on the sheet metal according to one of our local Mustang experts and forum members up here in Oregon. I will report back to the forum in a few weeks when I get the prognosis. Yes, I will PM you, Jeff. Here is a photo of the "outer wheel house removal process" HAH!