Author Topic: 1970 instrument cluster interior bezel color  (Read 1748 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Re: 1970 instrument cluster interior bezel color
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 12:11:23 PM »
Testing progress is as follows.  Pics attached.

I bought a can of Matte Blue ink and had a bezel piece color analyzed by local paint shop for a color match.  I bought a can of OMNI in a Mercedes color called AMAZON GRAU as that is what the color match recommended.

I sprayed both on test sheets that had white to black backgrounds and then painted a black instrument bezel (Speegle recommendation), with the AMAZON Grau and here are the results.  I sanded bezel with 600 grit wet.

1.  Matte Ink Blue was way too blue when compared to original bezel.
2.  Amazon Grau was too light and not blue/black enough when sprayed on black bezel piece.
3.  Attached picture shows what washing bezel in dishwasher does to color.   Dishwasher works great on parts if you are repainting, not if you want to retain original color.  Oops.

I am going to take OMNI can back to paint store and see if they can add Blue and/or Black and flattening base to try to tint closer match from the results so far. I think it will eventually work out.

Dan in Kansas

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 06:47:17 PM »
...............I sprayed both on test sheets that had white to black backgrounds and then painted a black instrument bezel (Speegle recommendation), with the AMAZON Grau and here are the results.  I sanded bezel with 600 grit wet.

1.  Matte Ink Blue was way too blue when compared to original bezel.
2.  Amazon Grau was too light and not blue/black enough when sprayed on black bezel piece.......................

Thanks for sharing what you have discovered so far.

The report reminded me of the Goldie Locks and the beds story and just as these things typically go unless you just get lucky.

Too bad the dish washer bath was too harsh.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2023, 03:35:29 PM »
Paint shop tinted my Amazon Grau color.

Once I spray test piece, I will post results.