Author Topic: Correct Replacement Master Cylinder  (Read 999 times)

Offline OrlBob

Correct Replacement Master Cylinder
« on: April 02, 2022, 09:58:32 AM »
I need to replace the master cylinder on my disc brake GT. What manufacturers would be considered concours correct? And what color should it be? I've seen cast and black.
Bob Egleston

1966 Mustang GT Coupe
6T07A192XXX
Body Buck Date: January 24, 1966
Metuchen Assembly Plant

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct Replacement Master Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 10:42:20 AM »
well we need more info please. what year and what plant?? suggest you add your car's info to your signature so we do not have to ask this over again.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 06:00:24 PM »
Original disc brake master cylinder would have been made by Bendix and painted black as a completed unit. The style of master cylinder would depend on when the car was built at the car plant  The master cylinders are also dated. The good thing is that originals can be rebuilt so no real reason to get a reproduction unless you just want to go the easy route or are building a "catalog car" - to each their own but there are almost always compromises if you choose that route

Other details will also need when and where your car was built

Would suggest that you add your cars information (when and where it was built as well as options) since you will be asked this allot before questions are commonly answered here so that we can provide the best information and answers possible
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline OrlBob

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »
Thanks for the tip on posting....I am relatively new to this forum, but am enjoying all the great tidbits of information that has been posted. I've updated my signature. My '66 GT is a factory GT from the Metuchen plant, built on January 24, 1966. I've done a fair amount of research on the car and was able to do a complete title search years ago. Was able to get a copy of the Statement of Origin and also the selling dealership in North Carolina (which is long gone and torn down  :(). Thanks for any info you can provide!
Bob Egleston

1966 Mustang GT Coupe
6T07A192XXX
Metuchen Assembly Plant

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2022, 12:44:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip on posting....I am relatively new to this forum, but am enjoying all the great tidbits of information that has been posted. I've updated my signature. My '66 GT is a factory GT from the Metuchen plant, built on January 24, 1966. I've done a fair amount of research on the car and was able to do a complete title search years ago. Was able to get a copy of the Statement of Origin and also the selling dealership in North Carolina (which is long gone and torn down  :(). Thanks for any info you can provide!
With a build date around that time you could need a master that uses the brass flair fitting adapters like all 65's had. Later 66 masters had the female flair made into the housing so that the adapters are not needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 12:46:15 PM »
This thread should help https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17340.msg109190#msg109190

For Metuchen, check this running change thread https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=23011.0

I would also suggest including a partial VIN so we know what drivetrain you're working with for any future posts  ;)
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline OrlBob

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the great info! Definitely helpful!

And.....I updated my signature with more info.  ::) :D
Bob Egleston

1966 Mustang GT Coupe
6T07A192XXX
Metuchen Assembly Plant

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2022, 03:35:01 PM »
bob, i would alter the sig to say 'scheduled build date' and not 'actual'. since we do not know the actual date due to no marti reports for model year 1966.
5F09C331248

Offline OrlBob

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 05:56:02 PM »
Hey @carlite65....please help me with a detail regarding the "actual" build date. I understand that the Door Data Plate includes the "Scheduled Build Date." Since my car was built in New Jersey, it has the buck tag on the inner fender. I understood that the date on that tag was the "Actual Build Date" (it is different from the door tag date). Or, is that date simply the date the car was bucked and the actual date could have been the next day depending on where it fell on the assembly line? I know this is digging in the weeds, but I would like to fully understand what is correct just for my own info. Thanks!
Bob Egleston

1966 Mustang GT Coupe
6T07A192XXX
Metuchen Assembly Plant

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2022, 06:21:56 PM »
the 'buck tag' would /should be the actual date the car was started on the line, when it was initially 'bucked'. the door tag #'s were created when the order was placed. you seem to have grasped the concept well. suggest you read this book.   

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/mustang-genesis-robert-a-fria/1111757066
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 11:53:03 PM »
the 'buck tag' would /should be the actual date the car was started on the line, when it was initially 'bucked'. the door tag #'s were created when the order was placed.

Not sure that that statement is correct. In later years, same plants the date on the buck tag is not aligning with Ford records of when the car was "bucked"

Started a new thread on the subject rather than take this one in a new direction  ;)

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=26538.new#new

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)