Author Topic: Heater core case/box in a 66  (Read 728 times)

Offline bowtie56jw

Heater core case/box in a 66
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:38:56 AM »
Howdy fellers, is it possible to open the lower/bottom part of the heater box without pulling the whole unit out? the po had the core replaced a couple years ago but there is a coolant leak.
thanks man!
Jeff
1966 Antique Bronze San Jose built hardtop
289 2bbl a/c  p/s  a/t
body-65A color- P  trim- 26  date- 28B   dso- 11  axle- 6 trans- 6

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Heater core case/box in a 66
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 01:02:00 AM »
Howdy fellers, is it possible to open the lower/bottom part of the heater box without pulling the whole unit out? the po had the core replaced a couple years ago but there is a coolant leak.
thanks man!
Jeff
Jeff,you are not making things easier for yourself by doing it that way IMO. You can get the clips off if you are lucky without breaking the case but putting them back on in place especially the top ones will be a trail . The same goes with installing the heater hoses, core ,and getting all the insides back together in place. It can be done but a slower and more tedious process IMO. By the time you do all that in place you could have pulled it completely out taken it apart , put it back together, install it back and still have time for a couple beers compared to in place plus less chance of damaging the case IMHO.  If the foam seals have gotten hard or disintegrated you should plan on changing them while it is out . FYI insist on the Danial Carpenter seal kit because the others are junk by comparison. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 08:17:27 AM »
+1 to bob's suggestions. take your time....it will be worth it.
5F09C331248

Offline bowtie56jw

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:05:13 PM »
Thank you Bob out she comes! the po had the shop use a heater restore kit of some type. I'm not sure where the "kit" was from.
I purchased this car from the wife/widow of the po with their son as the contact. he unfortunately was not real close to his father and really didn't know allot about the car or what was done to it. the wife knew some things but really just wanted the car gone and the son was not a car guy.
Jeff
289 2bbl a/c  p/s  a/t

Offline bowtie56jw

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 12:32:20 AM »
well guys i was able to get to the hose clamps and sure enough the bottom one was loose, had to be a contortionist but i got it done. 
i did get curious though and removed the front of the heater box and it is indeed a new heater core.
thanks again
jeff
289 2bbl a/c  p/s  a/t