Author Topic: 1969 Heater Box Question  (Read 789 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
1969 Heater Box Question
« on: August 23, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »
Does the location of the resistor pack on the 1969 heater box change when the heater box has AC vice no AC?  I believe it does change on the 1970's, as the length/location of the wires for the heater box connector is different.  I just don't know about the 69's.
Thanks!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Andrew@MagMustangs

• MagMustangs: Original Parts for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs
    • MagMustangs
Re: 1969 Heater Box Question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 04:15:48 PM »
You are speaking of the red resistor? Yes, it is in a different location on a 69 as well as a 70. That is the reason for the extension wiring lead. The later 70 did use a different wiring extension than 69 and earlier 70. Not sure of the changeover dates.
MagMustangs: Vintage Mustang Enthusiasts. We have Original Factory Parts for 1964 1/2-1973 Ford Mustang.   Like Us On Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/MagMustangs

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1969 Heater Box Question
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »
Well, after comparing a variety of underdash harnesses from my stash, I found the following.1969/70 non-AC cars: the heater box connector breaks from the passenger side part of the harness below the break-out of the turn signal flasher and the door jamb switch.1969/70 AC cars: most have the heater box connector breaks out at the turn signal flasher break-out such that that section of wiring can reach the left side of the heater box. Rarely seen in 1969, I do have a tach dash version like this.  This variant will also fit a non-AC heater box just fine, as the wire lengths are identical between the two variants.
1969/70 AC cars: some have the heater box break-out in the section going to the firewall grommet with a molded 3 pin flat bullet connector.  An  extension harness plugs into the 3 pin flat connector ending up with the standard "rectangular" 3 pin spade connector.  Rarely seen in 1969, I do have a tach dash version like this.  On rare occasions, I see a further extender from 3 pin spade to 3 pin spade.  These extenders are fairly rare.1970 AC cars: I've seen a few cars that have both the rectangular connector down near the turn signal flasher break-out AND the 3 pin flat connector breaking out of the section going to the firewall.  Two sets of wires for each (red, blue, and black/yellow) are in the heater switch connector.
I'm not sure why there are all these variations, as the second version could be used for both AC and non-AC configurations, saving Ford manufacturing costs and inventory.  I'm sure there's a good reason, though.
I have converted non-AC 69/70 harnesses at least 2-3 dozen times in the past without changing wire routing, and only had two complaints with fitting AC boxes, one of which was a Cougar.  These kinds of subtle variations are hard to pick up unless you compare them side by side.  At least from here-on out, I'll be doing to changes correctly.
Randy
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com